The Savvy Barterer--References, Skills, and Tools for TEOTWAWKI Barter

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Thanks KOxxx! Very good information! My FIL is a master barterer and would have loved life as a gypsy and DH learned well. Very fun to watch in action. I would agree with the article that one of the best tools is "the pause". Very hard to do because most people (including me) want to fill that void. The other thing they both do is ask a lot of questions. You never know what interesting information might pop up.
Definately, never underestimate the power of the pause. When "digging" for information, asking questions, etc, this is your best tool. If you say "oh" or "ok" or anything of the sort, they'll cut off information. If you don't say anything at all, they'll fill the void.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No need to wait for TEOTWAWKI, you can barter and trade now. My DH is constantly swapping things around. Yesterday he may have traded a lawn mower for an old hit or miss engine, he's waiting to see if the fellow wants to go through with it. Something about if the hit or miss engine is even moveable, I suspect, but that's a guy thing so I'm staying out of it. Earlier today I traded bananas for avocados. Also some sweet potato starts for some water cress. I've traded all sorts of things for chickens and even dinners at our local diner for baby ducks. Of course, it is much easier to carry money in your pocket instead of baby ducks but it isn't as much fun.

Latest posts