The Savvy Barterer--References, Skills, and Tools for TEOTWAWKI Barter

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article.....it was interesting. I peeked at the "what goods to have on hand for barter" and most of it doesn't match my mental list......I guess I think in terms of food too much.

My neighbors have all the tools & skills, but I have chickens, turkeys, seeds, spices, soap, pickling salt, yeast, etc.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeast? How do you store yeast?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks KOxxx! Very good information! My FIL is a master barterer and would have loved life as a gypsy and DH learned well. Very fun to watch in action. I would agree with the article that one of the best tools is "the pause". Very hard to do because most people (including me) want to fill that void. The other thing they both do is ask a lot of questions. You never know what interesting information might pop up.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
meriruka said:
Mackay said:
Yeast? How do you store yeast?
In vacuum sealed bags in the freezer.
Yeast actually stores fairly well for a decent amount of time outside a freezer if it remains sealed.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My friends who went through the collapse in Iceland said booze, cigarettes and feminine hygiene supplies.

The government did not collapse completely so basic services were still available but the money was pretty much useless and these items bartered well for food.

BoboHobo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
On Our own said:
My friends who went through the collapse in Iceland said booze, cigarettes and feminine hygiene supplies.

The government did not collapse completely so basic services were still available but the money was pretty much useless and these items bartered well for food.
I like to hear about people's' first-hand experience with a financial collapse, I feel that their information is invaluable.

There is a book on the economic collapse in Argentina called:
the modern survivor manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse
based on the first-hand experience of the 2001 economic collapse in Argentina.
The author's name is Fernando "Ferfal" Aguirre

He just talks first-handedly of what he experienced in Argentina and how he dealt with it all.
giving examples of security, self defense skills, your finances, mentality, and what to expect during and after the economic collapse etc...
Excellent!
I hope to find more books and articles similar to this one.