The Self-Sufficient Mind

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SS lifestyle is fairly new to me on a personal level. We've been "farming" about 4 years now. I have always had a very entrepreneurial spirit. I made money selling gum in school, got my first job at 9 or 10 at a worm farm and have been working doing something ever since, mostly NOT conventional jobs, but working no less.

Self improvement is my thing. I have always thought I can do more to be better at whatever, even when I was a kid. I'm not satisfied with mediocre, I have too much drive, and too much ambition to just be okay with things as they are if I see a place for improvement. I had a lot to sort out in my head when I was younger due to not being born a Cleaver :lol: but I got through that with time and the further away I got from certain family members. Then i got into finance, and became debt free except for the house...which is fueling my ambition now. This stinking economy(can ya smell it? I CAN!) is temporarily holding us back, but God provides without fail, even when I/we get weary. Which brings me to religious aspect....my mindset is how can you not believe?! If we can, through our own willingness, want to change/better ourselves, no matter our previous circumstances or personal experiences, where did that concept come from? I mean, as a species, we are NOT the sharpest tools in the shed by a long shot, we repeat mistakes endlessly, and lack self control no matter how "mature" we become, we are perpetually like children, driven by our own desires even when we KNOW it will hurt us in the long run. Somebody has to "parent" us, and all you have to do is look at government NOW and historically to know we're totally incapable of doing that ourselves :lol: Over time we look like we're chasing our tail relentlessly and are too stupid to know we'll never catch it :hu So, there HAS to be a higher power IMO.....else we're all doomed anyway and life is moot. :p

So what do I do to strengthen the mind? Read, pray, interact with folks smarter than me, and just live and never be afraid of a new experience within my interests. Some things I'll never try, because it either appears mind numbingly boring, stupid, or isn't cooked(sushi) or just doesn't fit my description of worthy of attempt like...bikini wax or wearing make up EVERY SINGLE DAY :th :lol: I think we learn a lot from each other and from faith in God.

My motivations vary. Money? yes. Peace of mind? Yeah, and who doesn't want a simpler way...which leads straight to knowledge because we have to be smart to figure out the simple things in life are the best. ;)

Boy do I ramble.....anyway. Nice refreshing topic. I likey :D

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I respect people with strong faith in their God. I can appreciate all views. The responsibility for us is to understand our beliefs. The idea that I believe in something because I have thought about it or is it that is what has been expected of me? That is what I am getting at... And that goes hand in hand with the rest of this lifestyle.

I wanted to post this because I see that everyone hear is trying to better themselves through self sufficiency which has to have a mental side to it. For me I want to learn how to hone my skills and mind. Seeing the flow of energy in my life change as my perspectives has changed is remarkable. I used to be so focused on the end result I forgot how fun the path is.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All of life, and faith, is the path--not the destination.

It's interesting to me that you keep asking questions about how people understand or come to their faith. Faith is faith, not necessarily understanding everything. The belief in things unseen, beyond understanding in many instances. We understand what we can, but believe what we must when we have faith.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Faith comes through truth though. I don't just blindly believe, personally. I have had experiences, and studies, and firm beliefs to back up my faith. I have proof, that started from a curiosity and initial faith at a young age, and grew into a personal relationship with God. I wasn't taught much. I didn't know why I believed in the beginning, but I did. Same with SS lifestyle actually. Even as a young child I knew it was a better way, I couldn't explain at that age WHY, but I believed in growing your own food, and it is cheaper and easier and more rewarding to live off the land and not be wasteful. I grew up before "global warming" and "recycling" in a little country school in a tiny community here in rural TN. Anyway, I grew into my beliefs, and some of them were actually against the grain of things I had been taught. Actually a lot of my beliefs are against the grain of how I was taught and what was expected of me, and it wasn't rebellion, it was just common sense. I guess to a degree my "raising" made me question everything, because I had no consistencies really in my life as far as teaching. My mom was too busy working, the old man was too busy drinking, and I was busy making up my own mind about things ;) It really rubs the old man the wrong way too. He was very racist, and taught us to be, but....I dated outside my own race as a teen. Now people don't bat an eyelash, but then people did, especially in rural Tennessee. I lost a lot of what i thought were "friends" but it was truly a blessing to weed out the bad ones early on. I didn't do it for other people anyway, I simply liked the guy :hu I have never been one to do things for others approval. I keep a dog inside my home, because I believe a dog is supposed to live WITH the family if you want a good family dog. My mother would have NEVER approved, and still doesn't, but it's not for them. I don't try to suit others. I was a girl who was told "You can't do ___," because girls don't do that, and then I went and did what I wanted :p I rode bikes, fought boys, climbed trees, spit, and played with dolls and wore dresses when "I" wanted to :lol: So, for me, personally, everything I do is because it's what I believe in, and what I have found to be true through my own experiences in life. That seems to be what you're curious about, right? Well, there are my examples. Yeah, Christianity was an easy fit around here, but I haven't consistently took the percieved easy way, rather the opposite, as a whole, in my life. I do what I believe is right and good, and basically, I never "followed" the Bible to be following, I believed in the principles from the start, and it is a natural path for me. Not to say I have never went against the teachings, everyone sins, but on a basic level, I follow the same principles, and mess up occassionally like everyone else :lol:

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
All of life, and faith, is the path--not the destination.

It's interesting to me that you keep asking questions about how people understand or come to their faith. Faith is faith, not necessarily understanding everything. The belief in things unseen, beyond understanding in many instances. We understand what we can, but believe what we must when we have faith.
Moolie,

It is probably because I am a scientist by trade. To me there are different kinds of faith in whatever you believe. Don't get me wrong I am not qeustioning anyone or trying to put holes in the sky. I thought this might be a good medium for learning (Most strangers think you are a weirdo if you start asking these questions). I am truly interested in why people choose different religious/spiritual paths. But it is undeniable people believe what they do because of some sort of reasoning. And to me that is the 'path.' I base my outlook on life and spirituality based on my reasoning and observations. To some this might be wrong but it is my way.

The post earlier about living like a kindergartener was humorous but also true. That's what is interesting about the world we are all different but to a certain extent we CAN agree on some certain aspects of life and learning.

Thanks for the responses you have inspired some thought on my part.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes, science is largely faith-based, if you really look into it. If you read about their conclusions and theories, many of them begin with "We believe, from the studies we have done, that such and such, blah, blah, blah....." Most of the time their studies and experiments merely prove that something happens and it happens with regularity, but mostly they cannot determine exactly WHY it happens, merely what they theorize is the reason why. I call that either speculation or faith.

Sometimes they look like one and the same thing.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Flytyer24, please excuse the thread hijack...

WBF, I've always believed.

Something in me always knew that God was there, taking care of me. From a very young age, for as long as I can remember. Hope that doesn't sound trite, but it is what it is. Learning about Jesus as a child and teen and reading the Bible just confirm the "sense" of God that I've always had.

I've always been remarkably taken care of. No matter the situation, I've somehow been kept safe and always, always, always had my needs met. Down to envelopes of cash for the exact amount I needed that I never told anyone about--short on rent or for a transit pass as a university student, short for paying bills when we first got married--it just arrived somehow. I've seen real miracles happen before my eyes that I still remember with some disbelief today--a child healed, horrible accidents with no lasting effects on the victims. I've had people tell me about miracles in their own lives, that they now can't believe happened. I've known missionaries that went to other countries, in particular friends who've gone to northern India, to Africa, and to South America, who have experienced real evil and in the case of the couple who went to India, seen demons truly cast out of people--again, today they recount their stories with comments like, "In India, you believe. It's a culture of demons, so they are real. When you come back home to Canada, you find it difficult to believe what you actually saw. But I know it was real."

I don't, and can't, understand it all. And others reading along will come up with all kinds of reasoned explanations for it all that don't include God. But I know to the depth of all that I am that God is who He says he is and that He created everything. Gave us each free will to accept or deny Him, and sent his Son and Spirit to save us and care for us.

That's why I say that faith is faith, and can't be completely reasoned or proven or at all understood.

---

Back on track with the thread, the Kindergarten stuff may be humourous, but it's also really truly a good way to live. Some of it is trite or silly ("flush") but if we could all as humans treat each other with that simple kind of courtesy, the world wouldn't be so very whacked. Hubs and I often remark that priorities seem so very wrong, things that people do just baffle us.

What I said above about beauty and usefulness, and about living life, is really important to me and my family--it grounds us in a world where everyone wants so much and always more more more. I've written many times on this forum that I don't believe in true "self sufficiency", that community and sustainability are more important concepts for our family. If we can live sustainably, we're set. But we don't believe we can do anything all on our own, thus the community aspect.

We simply try to "walk lightly" on the earth and put back what we take, give back to others when we've been given to etc. We buy used/second-hand, we use it up and then re-use it, we recycle what we can't deal with on our own and try not to buy things that come with excess baggage in the way of packaging or parts that aren't useful to us. We often donate what we no longer need, rather than sell it ourselves--mostly just to save the hassle of having a garage sale or trying to figure out how to sell things on eBay, but also because we want others to share in our bounty. We pass on hand-me-downs to friends, we donate items to thrift stores and to our annual church garage sale. We recycle everything we can--heck, I even save up all my steel canning lids and take them to the metal recycling place rather than throwing them out (drives hubs crazy, I know he just wants to take that box and chuck it some days).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
But I know to the depth of all that I am that God is who He says he is and that He created everything. Gave us each free will to accept or deny Him, and sent his Son and Spirit to save us and care for us.
This too, I believe. I don't remember a time when I didn't believe in there being a God..one God. I know my faith in that belief as being more than just my own thoughts or feelings has grown through experiences like the ones that Moolie describes....faith in action, real life incidents of things that were miraculous and could only be explained by the supernatural existence of God.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

I am a very spiritual person and can see that by a few of the posts that there has been logic and feeling given to your choices. If I point at the Moon you see the direction of the Moon... The moon is not my finger... As the words you use to direct and guide your religion is not that Moon only a different direction.

And Beekissed, My faith is not science it is my trade... But I do agree there are many things that I make inferences about that cannot be proven only be 'confident' in. But do see real world changes. I can understand statistics, apply them and when I see the results can have faith in them.

That is how I guide myself; through deep thought and reflection followed by application.

And Moolie, I find it interesting that you thought that was a hi-jack. Because that was exactly what I was looking for. I see that maybe I have asked the wrong questions. I can respect a strong faith in God. I like to see the human nature side of things... See how we can have differing spirituality and still values some of the same things...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

What could take more faith than planting seed in a garden and hoping it grows into next year's food? Or placing eggs under a broody for next season's replacement layers? Or that a lamb will come out fine and both animals will live through the process? Or that the things you do to save on money are really paying off as much as you hoped or do they just make you feel like they are?

Putting your skills into practice to grow, build, preserve and live more self-sustainably takes not only faith in what you know and learned but faith/hope in the weather patterns, the soils, the resilience of the jar/lid/band, the gauge on the canner, the coolness/warmth of the cellar, the health of the animal, the weather in your area, etc.

I think it would be hard to separate this kind of life from any sort of faith-like behavior/thought patterns.