The Self-Sufficient Skills thread (new name, old thread!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Especially to encourage the newbies!

So list whatever new skill you learn and become reasonably proficient in....let's say you could teach someone else how to get started in that skill, one-on-one and in person, so they could get started.....that level of proficiency. Not an expert, though, don't get too hard on yourself.

I'll get started, and jump in anytime!

I learned to milk a goat and make yogurt. :weee

Each time you post a new skill, copy the previous list of your skills into the new post, so you have a running list.

Pickling eggs definitely counts!!! ;)

Throw in your goals, too, if you'd like. Look back and see how much you've accomplished now and then, and get ideas for more goals from other people's goals and accomplishments!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm learning how to sew. I'm not what you would call "proficent" at it, but I've been pleased with the results so far. Let's just say it's a work in progress.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hmmmm, my goal is to grow a LOT more of our veggies so it will be a while before I can post any successes!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my last two camping trips I learned how to start a fire with a flint stone. Not something I could teach but it was a bit harder than expected. I suggest maybe people should practice. G

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am so old that I have done it all and know it all. :lol:
I learned how to sew on a machine a few weeks back. I had known how to hand stitch enough to get me by,and I can replace my own buttons, but a machine is COOL!!! :weee

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm with SK....not in that I know everything...but not a lot out there left to learn for me in the SS skills department.

I will be raising sheep for the first time, so I'm sure to try hoof trimming, helping with lambing, etc. for the first time. I will be trying some new watering methods this summer, so that can be counted I guess.

I'll come up with something! Like the vinegar project! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is always more to learn!!! And when I say teach, I mean, think teach to a kid, ok? I just wanted to screen out the "I tried this once and it was a huge flop and I will never do it again, but I'm counting it anyways" posts. We all have plenty of those! So I am trying to define "skill" a bit more loosely, and kindly. If you canned for the first time and ANY of the jars sealed, that qualifies! If you sewed something and it is usable and you could teach a kid how to make one, too, it is ok if the seams are all crooked.

No one is going to visit you and check your work.... :hide

I am FAR from being REALLY skilled at milking a goat.....just ask Mya! But I've gotten through several milkings now without her jumping and kicking and trying to get away from me, so..... I am :ya

And we have a year! So grow those veggies, girl! And Bee, you have the idea....you will have a large list by the end of the year. SK and punkin....each new sewing skill counts.....make a buttonhole, install a zipper, etc. And fire from flint!!!!! Wow!!! Even if it takes you a while now, it is a skill. I would have no clue where to begin with that, so yes, Tanks, you could teach me what you know.

:clap for all the brave ones here :clap

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm with SK....not in that I know everything...but not a lot out there left to learn for me in the SS skills department.

I will be raising sheep for the first time, so I'm sure to try hoof trimming, helping with lambing, etc. for the first time. I will be trying some new watering methods this summer, so that can be counted I guess.

I'll come up with something! Like the vinegar project! :D
Oooh, I want to try vinegar too! Do you have a thread about this? Is it a certain post on your journal thread? : ) Pretty please???
I just bought a large bottle with a spigot near the bottom on Ebay. It would be perfect for vinegar. I just haven't takent the time to read what I need to do to get started.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, this should be FUN! We are venturing into a few things this summer. Sheep for one. A dear friend from BYC is giving me 2 ewes, and hopefully a ram due this spring. I have another friend, that raises goats, we swap her goats milk for my eggs...anyways...she has an extra spinning wheel..and is going to teach me to spin! WEEEEEEeeeeeee!! I cant waite to learn..and will have my own sheeps wool to boot! A few summers ago I attempted to weave baskets and such from cattail reeds. :rolleyes: I think I will try this again...this summer. my first attempt was not great...but useable I guess....just not sure what I would use it for. Right now, its just decoration! LOL
99_cattailbasket.jpg

Hopeing to perfect my weaving abilities. LOL

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, did you just figure that out by yourself, maybe with a book? I love it!!!!