The smell of baking bread...

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
is filling my house right now :clap I received a Target giftcard for Christmas from my MIL and purchased a breadmaker with it! I'm so excited, it arrived yesterday and my first batch is cooking as I type...

Yummmm :drool

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't used my Breadmaker in years. I used to buy Bread flour and fresh yeast from Whole Foods. Now that I'm in rural America, what type of flour and yeast should I use now? I see my local grocery has those packets and the jar of yeast.

mmmmmm....the smell of bread.....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You can use the packaged yeast and any flour for making bread. I prefer to use whole wheat flour in the mix, but I make it out of just white flour for SO.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I haven't used my Breadmaker in years. I used to buy Bread flour and fresh yeast from Whole Foods. Now that I'm in rural America, what type of flour and yeast should I use now? I see my local grocery has those packets and the jar of yeast.

Don't buy the packets of yeast, they are more expensive. Just measure out the yeast. I use whole wheat flour with added gluten to make it rise. I also use the dough cycle in the machine, and bake it in the oven. I was always so disappointed witht the bread when it baked in the bread maker. I have been baking in the oven for years now. Delish!! Pass the butter please.... :D

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
murphysranch said:

I'm so jealous, I want to be in rural America ;)

I used to buy the packets of yeast, but I checked out Sam's Club prices and 2 large containers were as much as 6 packets of yeast! No brainer there, thank you Sams. I buy the King Arthur bread flour, but if I get on a bread makin' kick, I'll probably go ahead and buy the large bag from Sams as well.

MMM...I'm eating my first piece now, I love how its crunchy on the outside and tender, chewy on the inside. Oh crap, so long to my "diet" :rolleyes:

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh the smell of bread baking is the best "air freshener" I too use my machine to mix and raise dough, and bake in the oven, it turns out so much nicer,

Enjoy your machine, August.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
King Arthur flour is great, but way too expensive for those of us in the west if we have to have it shipped in - a few stores carry it, but not so many. As a refugee from Silicon Valley myself (I just moved North instead of East, Murphysranch :lol:) I sympathize/applaud your move. It is great to be out, is it not?, but also very hard to acclimatize to the difference in shopping possibilities. If you have a health food store nearby, they may have bulk yeast; mine does, for about 6 dollars a pound, as opposed to 18 to 20 for those little packets (if I remember correctly; its been awhile since I did the math). Yeast stores very well in the freezer; I keep mine in a little clamp jar with a rubber ring, and have never had a problem with it. And all purp[ose flour, and/or whole wheat works just fine. I use all purpose with some of King Arthur's White Whole Wheat, because I have a picky DH, who doesn't like whole wheat much.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well for me is is cheaper to make the trek to Costco and pay 3.79 for bulk portion of yeast and throw it in the freezer. I just checked the date on the one I have in there and it technically expired 8 months ago and it is still going strong. I also buy the bulk bread flour from them because bread flour is significantly cheaper there for me than my local grocery (they are starting to carry a lot of organic items and I am hoping the flour will be too) I use a breadmaker with yummy results but by far the family ooohhhs and awwwws at the handmade loaves on the counter.

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just buy whatever flour is on sale and get the jars of yeast. I keep the jar in the fridge, and then when I'm ready to make bread, I proof it first and then add it to the breadmaker. I also just used the breadmaker for the kneading, and then pull it out and let it rise in a regular breadpan and then bake it in the oven. I just finished my bread for the week last night. Yuuuum! :drool