The Sufficient Self DIY Halloween Costume Thread! (pic heavy)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Halloween is coming!

This year as you put together costumes for yourselves or your kids, consider taking photos of the process and posting them here, so we can learn from each other and get ideas.

Happy haunting!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A home-made nature fairy costume:

First make a simple stretchy skirt (the brown thing), and sew some layers of gauzy green fabric on. The fabric will be gathered, and the skirt will have an elastic waist. (The pic is sideways -- I can't get it to rotate!)
1119_img_0396.jpg

Add fake leaves around the waist:
1119_img_0415.jpg

Make a simple shirt with the same stretchy brown fabric. (I use cut-open paper grocery bags as a template to fit things onto DD, and then cut the fabric to match the template.)
1119_img_0411.jpg

Add leaves to the shirt.
1119_img_0413.jpg

Staple some leaves to brown boots. Add some homemade, store-bought, or borrowed wings, and your nature fairy is ready to fly!
1119_img_0419.jpg

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
OMG Hen. I LOVE it!!!

I post my pics soon :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Best Halloween costume I ever made was made from a box. I was a senior in high school, and figured this was my last chance to be a kid. I used something for a knob, don't recall now what I used, and made it into a CB radio. I had people giving me extra candy!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
One year my daughter and her best friend used boxes- sculpted a bit, and spray painted and went as salt and pepper shakers. I have a picture somewhere, but it has to be found and scanned in.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cool pics

we don't dress anymore but the kiddo does. At the beach last year she was a fairy princess and Tony and I put on pirate wigs and a bit of makeup. What a blast. The beach campground sure knows how to DO Halloween! :)

she wants a witch this year....she was a witch at age 3 (I still have the costume, hat, etc. All bought at walmart......and it was too big then and should fit great now lol)

so cheap for me this year.

I can't sew on a button literally and sewing never interested me.....so all costumes are store bought.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hubby and i went to a party last year as shrek and fiona

The year before we went as star trek red shirts complete with fatal wounds

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make my kids' costumes, but figure since I'm doing all the work, they'd better be useful, so the rule is that they double as pajamas...usually from sweatsuits.
One year I used a pair of old sweats and sewed netting and a few extra "arms" under the arms and turned it into a spider.

One year I sewed a black cape over the back of a sweatshirt and he was a bat.

One time I glued silk "leaves" to a red shirt and my son wore brown pants and was a tree.

Then my oldest son convinced his little brother to be a piece of paper. People thought he was a ghost until he held out his arms and you could see the lines and "holes."

My favorite was gluing a bunch of straws (one...at...a...time, sigh...) to a sweatshirt to make my daughter a porcupine costume.

This year my son says he will be a ranger. We already have a nice fleece hooded cape, so he'll have a belt around it and stuff toy arrows and such into the belt and call it done. I'm too tired to care this year! And I'm all for simplicity.