The sweetest time of the year.......

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I love fall. I mean spring is fine with everything in blossom and the grass starts growing well. Summer is a treat with work and lazy days in turn.
But fall. :)

Today I picked my second apple from my favorite tree- it's an Alaskan. It has the blend of sweet and tart that I love.
Nothing is as basically satisfying to me as an apple straight off the tree. It has a flavor that disappears in even a couple of hours. Like the first juice squeezed from the cider press- it is nectar. Cider may store OK but will never have the perfection of that first glass put under the spout to catch the juice drunk before it has a chance to turn brown.
:thumbsup
I feel very sorry for those who never have the chance to taste that and who must think all apples taste like cardboard.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I prefer autumn over spring myself if not just for the fact that I know I'm gonna get six months of nice outside working weather whereas spring can go from 60F to 90F inside of three minutes and stay there until September. I pretty much hunker down from June thru August and can only spend 15 minutes outside at a time, its the price to pay for the other nine perfect months.

I wanted to plant some apple and peach trees this year but held back for my new place. I have cut way back on junk foods and have been eating lots of apples, I cube them and lightly sprinkle with salt - not real good for you that way but far better then potato chips.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
When I was a child of about 6 or 7, my father and I planted 20 red delicious and 20 yellow delicious apple trees on the property that I was born on. As a kid, I hated having to help dad trim, spray and then have to mow around those trees. But as I grew older and learned to appreciate things a bit more, I have come to miss those days very much. After mom passed, my sister had to sell the property to settle things up :hit but a few of those apple trees are still going today! Some of the best memories are of pop and I picking a whole trailer full of apples and running them to the local cider press to have them squeezed and bottled into 1 gallon jugs. We always had them leave the jugs "not quite full" so we could freeze it and have cider year 'round. :celebrate

The Applejack that pop made a couple of times brings back fond, if not a little foggy, memories. :caf :hide :clap

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your apples sound delish!

I love fall too. (the fall colors are fab. Love the reds in the trees!)

Nicole and I are going out to put up a scarecrow in the front yard and some spooky ghost windcatchers (or whatever they are..lol) and Tony got me a bale of hay to put my mums and pumpkins on. I like that decorating. Fun and pretty.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love fall too! :love Around here it means those wonderful apples~all kinds and flavors~beautiful colors, crisp mornings and toasty evenings by the wood fire.

Spring is wonderful, with the smells, sounds and sights of renewal....but I must admit that I love the last hoorah of the dying year! It definitely does not "go quietly into the night"..... :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree....When Fall arrives, I am "in my element!" Thats what Hubby says. LOL I love the cool crisp mornings, going out to do chores, it puts a spring in my step! ( altho, I must be carefull not to trip) LOL Cool evening by a fire...and FINALLY being able to get things done outside, and not sweat and pant like a dog! LOL
I like Spring, with the tree blossoms, new life being born on every farm, the smell of fresh tilled soil, and fresh cut grass....however, I am more a fall person...Mother Earth is finally takeing a break, and letting ME take a break as well. :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I agree....When Fall arrives, I am "in my element!" Thats what Hubby says. LOL I love the cool crisp mornings, going out to do chores, it puts a spring in my step! ( altho, I must be carefull not to trip) LOL Cool evening by a fire...and FINALLY being able to get things done outside, and not sweat and pant like a dog! LOL
I like Spring, with the tree blossoms, new life being born on every farm, the smell of fresh tilled soil, and fresh cut grass....however, I am more a fall person...Mother Earth is finally takeing a break, and letting ME take a break as well. :p
That is exactly how I feel! Plus, the first fireplace and woodstove fires---ahhhh...

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I enjoy fall, but we're not having much of one this year!

Theres no leaves to rake, because the 50 mph winds blow them away before they can even fall off the tree, the 'cool crisp mornings' are more like being thrown into a freezer, and its always wet.

We didn't have much of a summer either, either it was wet, cold, or way too hot.

I think if we put a scare crow up it would fly away.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I like fall to a degree. I don't really look forward to the cold, and I depise winter.

But I love a cozy fire, hot coffee, and fresh baking on a cool crisp autumn day.

I enjoy working outside on these cooler days, even if I need an extra layer of clothing or my boots, because it means not breaking a sweat.

I hate the rain and the resulting mud I'm fighting right now, though. :/