The sweetest time of the year.......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail is right.
Bad thing about Fall is it leads to Winter.
Which has the holiday time which is wonderful, but the winter work on the animals etc. is hard!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fall weather is lovely, but it descends into the darkness. I'll always prefer spring, the blush of the new growth, the warming of the earth, and that scent, that fresh, enticing scent you breathe in one morning when the frost is really gone, and Spring has really arrived. I enjoy the fall but long for Spring.

ETA as for sweetness, that's one thing that can't be beat - harvesting and bottling honey! Heavenly!

ma-honey.jpg

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I LOVE fall! :love

I love spring when it arrives, but after a long hot summer I am so ready for the change in weather. We still have hot days but I love cool night s, cozy fires and lazy football Sundays!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Ann do you know what flavor that honey is basically?

A farmer up in the mts. has clover honey, then he has poplar honey and wildflower honey. It was so interesting to hear how he has hives in different areas to catch different flowering stuff and it changes the taste.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's mixed, Karen, but with heavy herbal overtones. It tastes totally different from the mixed wildflower honey from Maine. I love it!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This year, we have been buying locally produced honey for anywhere from $18 to $25 for 3 lb container. Nothing better! ;) What a beautiful picture that makes.

ETA: I love autumn - apples, especially Melrose (the Ohio state apple), pumpkins, hot cider and cinnamon donuts or fried rice cakes (I'll post the recipe), wood fires, cozy sweaters, cuddling under stadium blankets at the high school football game or church stone soup gathering. Lots of family birthdays in autumn, including dh, ds, nieces and nephews. :love

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I enjoy fall, but we're not having much of one this year!

Theres no leaves to rake, because the 50 mph winds blow them away before they can even fall off the tree, the 'cool crisp mornings' are more like being thrown into a freezer, and its always wet.

We didn't have much of a summer either, either it was wet, cold, or way too hot.

I think if we put a scare crow up it would fly away.
Tie your scarecrow to a fence post or something- if you want one for the decorative value. Do you really miss raking? Maybe Mother Nature is trying to give you a break.
I love fall too. It has so much variety, the harvest especially. The weather is great for hiking and camping. We can still grow a small fall garden here too. And if you're not sure what weather you like best- that's okay, it's changing constantly.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh, I was just goofing around with that. Not that I'm much of a scare crow person.
I only rake leaves to give to the goats.

Its already getting down to the 30's at night here, I'm not ready for that. I love summer, and fall is pretty good. If I only lived somewhere that didn't snow and get down to -50. Lol.

Latest posts