The three month spending drought is over- and how.............

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ya know where I live there are tons of supermarkets it seems conveniently located, well, everywhere. :p

I never have crowds at my markets. Very rare I have to wait in line at any of them.

Guess location sure handles that one cause when I lived in NJ, wow, you had to allot 3-4 hrs. to shop.....just the checkout line would drive ya crazy waiting.

I like my fast easy markets down here in NC better...lol

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the "no shopping" months. When I do go, I buy extras...freeze them...like butter and cheeses. I shop at Save-A-Lot...they have the meat deals of "5 for $19.99" I only buy beef because we raise pur pigs, chickens, and turkeys. Hopeing we can raise the beef next year. ;) I dont buy veggies...other than an occasional bag of brussel sprouts or peas. I buy my spices dureing the summer months...and make sure I have 3 or 4 of each to get me through winter. We use the lard from our pigs, but occasionally I will buy cooking oil. Our biggest purchases....coffee, creamer, and coffee filters. We go though ALOT of coffee. :/

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love your style Justy ;)

I was so inspired that I inventoried my freezer and made up a dinner menu list to last us until Jan 17....not nearly as long as you BUT a move in the right direction.

I stilll need my holiday ham (don't like the costco ones) and will need, milk, eggs, produce and nuts....I like the idea of freezing the nuts, just need to find a more cost effective source. Sadly, I am down to 3 chickens and not only are they not producing much due to molt, I recently wormed them so it will be another week before I can eat their eggs....so I have to buy eggs blech!

I think I will attempt to organize and officially inventory everything in my freezer and pantry. I have stuff in there that will never be eaten and stuff that is in regular rotation, which should go on a basic shopping list coffee, pbutter, favorite seasonings etc. Sometimes there is so much extra crap that I miss things you know? I have seasonings that I have not used in years.....they could all get pitched to clear the way for a more organized, easy to track pantry. (I wrote panty....we all need a more organized, easy to track panty right? :gig )

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Dace- one of the things that helps me know what I have on the shelves is that I put a little lable on the shelfedge with the same of the item- I'd put "olive oil back" or salt or something. Then I know where the buried items are. I'm lucky in that my big storage area has those melimine? covered shelves - you know the white covered flakeboard. I can just write with dry erase pens then wipe it of and relable as I need.
My shelves are really deep though- if you had shallow ones, this might not be so helpful.