The Trout Pond - Chicks, Chicks & more chicks

popcorn chicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the condolences everybody!!! We're moving on rather quickly, seems nothing waits on the farm.

We are getting ready for 8 of our rabbit does to kindle this week, and 3 of them are 1st timers, so that's going to be a treat!! 1 of the others is a doe that we've had since day 1 of our rabbit adventure, and we've bred her 3-4 times and we have a grand total of..... 1 living off-spring from her :barnie I've told myself several times that this was it, no more, we're getting rid of her, but then she'll go out and we'll win w/ her at a show. So I bred her again, and this time I've got others bred so I could take her kits and foster them to other does. I tried this last time, but only had 3 does bred, this 1 had 3 and the other 2 had 9 & 7 kits per litter and didn't want to over stress them, so we'll see again this time.

We also have another hatch going Thursday was lockdown, and as of this morning when I left for work, we had 5 hatchlings out of 16 eggs. This was the 1st time we didn't have our automatic egg turner, so that's been something we've been working on. But I was reading Glenolam's post about when she turns her eggs (7am & 7pm) that worked pretty good, but we weren't always on time, I wasn't expecting any :/ so these 5 are a pleasant surprise!!!

We'll give the hatch until the end of the week to see how things turn out, and by then we should "hopefully" be well on our way w/ a barn full of baby :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun :bun 's

Have a GREAT WEEK everybody!!!

popcorn chicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, it was a busy week-end at the Trout Pond !!!

We have 25 baby bunnies in 4 litters, :woot

2 litters of 8, a litter of 7, and one underachiever who only had 2 :rolleyes: But I might foster a 2-3 into this litter and take 1 from each of the other Does, so they aren't over stressed.

I also got a good start on my chicken tractor, my meaties should be hear the 25th or 26th. And just for kicks and grins I ordered 3 Bronze turkey poults. :D I've never raised turkeys before, but until now I never raised anything (except a little Hell ;) ) so we'll see!!

All this on top of Momma being down, she had a root canal last Tuesday, and it got infected and swollen, and all kinds of very INTENSE pain!!! so she was down for most of the week bearly doing anything. She did get up and get the kids off to school, but then it was a pain pill and back to bed. Her face got so swollen that her eye was almost closed, we had to call the dentist and he saw her Thursday night after hours (one benefit of small rural towns, he gave us his cell # just in case) and he said it looked like she had an allergic reaction to the meds they used. But she was on the mend Saturday, and Sunday she actually ate something solid. I pawned the kids off on the grandparents, so she had the week-end off from the kids, they got all their chores done Saturday morning and were gone by lunch.

We're Praying for ya Joplin, MO !!!

I can only imagine what it's like. I've been thru 2 fires, and a couple of hurricanes that flooded our house, but at least w/ hurricanes you get some kind of time to get ready.

popcorn chicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's getting CRAZY around here at The Trout Pond :p

We've hatched a batch of 13 RIR's, then another batch that I thought my brother wanted, and this time we got 18 out of 23, but he said he only has room for 5-6 :/ so now we have 25 RIR's 1-2months old.

Then we ordered broilers for the kids for 4H, and when I ordered them from the hatchery I told them they HAD to be hatched between May 25 & June 1st due to 4H rules. They said no problem, and would send them that week. Well,,, I got 50 chicks on 5/24 that had hatched on the 23rd. We called them up and told them that these birds were illegal for our 4H and they checked our file, they made a mistake and were going to send us replacement birds and to keep the original 50. I offered to pay the shipping, but they said since it was their mistake, they'd take care of it!! :ep

THANK YOU Townline Hatchery!!! WHOOT

So now we have 100 meaties and they have to be kept seperate, so we can keep track of the older birds. I made an offer to my BIL, I'd give him the original 50, he could raise them to butcher and we'd split them after that. He's good to go w/ that idea, but can't take them for another week to 10 days b/c he has another 100 that will be butchering in that time. So after he butchers those he'll have empty space to put these.

It's going to be a CRAZY 10 days!!! :barnie

Happy Monday everyone :frow

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
That's a lot of chicks and bunnies!

I have a question. When you take baby bunnies and put them with another mom to be raised, how do you keep track of which momma actually birthed which babies? I only ask because you mentioned you wanted more offspring from that one momma who wins at shows. :p

popcorn chicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:

I have a question. When you take baby bunnies and put them with another mom to be raised, how do you keep track of which momma actually birthed which babies? I only ask because you mentioned you wanted more offspring from that one momma who wins at shows. :p
Depends on the situation, this time, I took them from 2 different does, and gave them to their mothers. So it's like the grandama doe is raising the kit.

I also put a little mark in one of their ears and keep track of them that way as well. I took kits from 2 different does, and I put a "+" w/ a Sharpie in their ear, the other kits got an"o" . Then I put the same symbol on the paperwork that I keep for the doe. I don't handle them much, but I check them about once a week to make sure everythings OK, then if I have to, I redo the mark in their ear.

Sometimes I know I'm just going to butcher them, so I just move them and let it go at that.

Hope that helps!!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
popcorn chicken said:
aggieterpkatie said:

Depends on the situation, this time, I took them from 2 different does, and gave them to their mothers. So it's like the grandama doe is raising the kit.

I also put a little mark in one of their ears and keep track of them that way as well. I took kits from 2 different does, and I put a "+" w/ a Sharpie in their ear, the other kits got an"o" . Then I put the same symbol on the paperwork that I keep for the doe. I don't handle them much, but I check them about once a week to make sure everythings OK, then if I have to, I redo the mark in their ear.

Sometimes I know I'm just going to butcher them, so I just move them and let it go at that.

Hope that helps!!
Yes, that definitely helps!! :)