The waste is astonishing!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm with you big brown :barnie
This too makes me sick. :somad

My parents renovated a 150 year old house that had been slated to be torn down. The original structure is still standing, HUGE beams, lovely old brick, Dad just went in and remodeled it. The only floor that needed replacing was my room, so I got the only quiet floor in the house. :D

My rents wanted me to sign an agreement to not tear the house down or sell it once they pass. I gladly agreed! I may rent it out, but its not going anywhere if I have anything to say about it.

Our local community center is a beautiful log home that has been slightly remodeled inside. I think they may have updated the kitchen & bathrooms, since its now a public building. The historical society is so strict that you can't even tape signs to the walls anymore, because of the potential for damage. Its gorgeous! Thick, heavy beams in the ceiling, 16"-24" wide logs for the walls, field stone foundation, even that is still sturdy.

Several abandoned buildings (Like Ye Olde Goat Roost, I love that name, used to be a pub of sorts) are being rennovated for apartments. The exteriors are being done in the same style as the building, while the interiors are being left mostly blank. So much better to remodel them, update the electricity & add some insulation than to tear it down and start over. The charm that just disappears!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more!

I think I am going to try harder to boycot places that tear down the old and build new.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here in Denver, we actually have several places that sell reclaimed building parts. It makes me happy to see. Unfortunately, I don't know how their businesses are doing but I really hope they are doing well.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I know Habitat for Humanity in our area has de-construction crews that will take a house apart piece by piece for the materials to sell.

Only problem is that takes time and many of these "folks" refuse to allow them the time necessary or simply don't care enough to call them.

There is also a great Architectural Salvage in the city near us that is great to rummage through. Lots of great house parts and pieces. Only problem is the PRICE. Sky high.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was thinking about Habitat for Humanity while reading through the thread. I just took my hubby to their ReStore for the first time yesterday. I can't believe nobody called them.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have a ReStore near us.

I love to go shopping there.

I bought the flooring for my kitchen for a fraction of the price that it would have cost new. I have also purchased hardwood flooring strips (this old house had several problem spots that were repaired with those), paint, hardware, and even a backdoor for my porch!

I have also spread the word, as much as possible.

That place is a win win for all concerned. Construction companies, and materials suppliers get a tax write off on what would have been left over product or mis-sized (or mis-cut) construction waste, old homes that are demolished provide materials that save the re-production costs of new (and are often higher quality than new), Habitat for Humanity gets funds to build good low cost homes for people in need, neighborhoods are revitalized (home owners care more about their neighborhood than renters), AND I get a new insulated steel backdoor blank for $4.00! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Love Habitat for Humanity too, my family has been involved in some way for years. My Mom (I'm bragging here, sorry!) worked on a house with Jimmy Carter's wife Roseline years ago. My brother is a contractor and donated his expertise.

I've been told that there is a ReStore near by, I ought to go check it out.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After talking with you guys, I looked up one of the stores online. They have some of the COOLEST stuff. Wood laminate flooring for $1 per square foot. OMG that is cheap.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The real hardwood is cheap as well. They get it out of demolition houses. Sometimes you can find whole houses worth of the same style and color. Even if you pay a professional installer and then have the floors refinished - the cost is about 1/3 of new.

Real hardwood is not too hard to install yourself. (I've done it and I am an old gal)

The real hardwood tongue and groove stuff will last 50 years or more and can be refinished over and over. That wood laminate stuff will last about 10 to 15 years and cannot be refinished.

Self sufficiency means buy it once and get the good one so it will last!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for the reminder FF. When we do get around to building our forever house, I DO want solid hardwood flooring. My dream house is a passive solar, straw-bale house with the latest, greatest "green" products (solar panels, solar water heater, wind turbine, water harvesting) combined with salvaged materials (flooring, lighting, etc).