The wealth gap & other ills.... Warning: long and could make you sick

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Yes- bad behavior is as old as humanity and probably older.
What I find wrong is the lack of social pressure against it. No ethical teachings practically at all anymore. The idea that anything people as indiviuals want to do is their right no matter how it damages others.

Thous shalt not steal - unless it is fun, clever, entertaining, or easier than working for it- sort of mentality.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BUT ETR---why do you think there might Not have been social pressure against it back "then"? Now everything is global and in your face news with the help of tv, internet and media. Things we didn't know that happend "right next door" and didn't know cause of knowledge blackout.

We are not better now as a human, we are not smarter, we are not perfect, never will be..............do you think "in this time and age" we should "know better?"

I don't.

I wish, but I don't think so.

Life is hard for all at all times thru the centuries. Good vs. bad. Nothing will change. As our social decay happens, why should we "be more conscious" of it now? Nothing truly changes.................human are just that, human faults and all.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think it's easier to "steal" in the ways mentioned above because you are stealing invisible things. If you steal your neighbor's cow, we all can see what you are doing. If you steal your neighbor's stock/bonds, nobody will even know.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very true

intangible vs. tangible

and yes our world has become credit and money on paper intangible

but thru the years all know stealing is stealing........but not "touching or taking" as a direct result could be the difference.

great point!!!!

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
On Our own said:
Instead of seeing the very wealthy give to charity - and I do agree that many give millions to charities that badly need their money - I would rather see a few more give decent wages to those who help them make their wealth.

John D. Rockefeller said that he believed that making money was god's gift to him and that since the gift was given to him (I am paraphrasing here I will find the exact quote if you want it) then god meant for him to decide how to help his fellow man according to his own conscience.

Yet, in 2002 George W. Bush said that what this country really needed was more ethical businessmen!

Too many business students were taught that even illegal behavior was the "right" thing to do as their only obligation was to maximize profit and that they had NO OTHER obligation whatsoever.

Google the words Milton Friedman and ethics and you'll see what I mean. Recognize that for 30 years this is the primary idea that has been taught in most MBA programs in this country.
Yup--you are spending others monies
Clarify, please I am not seeing what you mean.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you know I edited this...I answered, but then I thought, you know what, it truly doesn't matter...LOL-LOL

it is all cool