The wealth gap & other ills.... Warning: long and could make you sick

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As many of you know my DH just lost his job and we are facing soem real rough water ahead. But, we have always lived fairly frugally and live a simple life, land, chickens, children.

But I have a relative, distant mind you through marriages, whose life is not so simple. So there we were family visiting in prelude to T-day. Around the table was me, one woman who has been out of work since February, one family facing ruin over the wife's medical bills and this guy. So he decides to complain bitterly about congress' moves to cap compensation, something that was essentially dropped apparently anyway, and he says very bitterly, "Just because of how it would look they dropped MY BONUS TO $98,000.00"

Yep, you read that right. Bonus and $98,000.00. And he was mad about it.

After opening and closing my mouth several times and genuinely feeling as if I might be sick I stood up and said "it's best if I go now" and I left.

How does it happen that you get that far away from reality as most of the world experiences it and not know it? How could he not hear his own sister's financial issues and not think, "Geez, my bonus could have paid her COBRA for her lifetime."

I don't for one minute say he did not work hard, he did. And I don't say he's not smarter than I - he is. But, what he does does not in anyway contribute enough to society for that kind of reward. I don't begrudge people the chance to reap rewards for their work but that is just ..... obscene.

How did one industry get so far out of line with the entire rest of the country? I am still feeling slightly ill and depressed. I can manage being poor: been there, done that, couldn't afford the T-shirt. But people who are smart and who have worked very hard are getting destroyed here. How can he not hear himself?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont' know about this guy, but I honestly believe that most people that are used to getting bonuses like that have bills to match.

I wonder how many people that live in the really nice houses and drive new cars are so far in debt that can't see daylight. Did this drop on bonus mean he is stressing on how to pay his kids college or his wife new car payment. I know for a fact there are people that sit at home in their brand new huge mcmansions because they can't afford to go anywhere.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
There is a widening gap between "middle" and upper" class in this country and its not getting any better with these stupid bail outs.

Its very frustrating and annoying, but they (the rich folk) live pretty much like we do for the most part, paycheck to paycheck, they blow everything they have, but not because they have to, but because they just feel like it.
they pay millions for their homes, cars and junk that we would never dream of.

When it boils down to it, the ones that really irritate the heck out of me, are those that make those millions by chasing a friggin ball around a field or court. What a worthless waste of money in this day and age.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel you. A week or so ago, I was watching this show called Till Debt Do Us Part, where they help you figure out how to fix your financial mess. Mind you, I am stressing over money here as well(wife is not the healthiest, 5 kids, and making half what I made last year). Anyway, on this show, they are alotting money for weekly entertainment, clothing...weekly clothing money? Entertaonment...if your broke, IMO thats the first thing to go. But get this....they took this couple to a food bank, and showed them that it was possible to not eat out every single meal!!!! And the wife says "If we don't fix our finances, we could actually end up having to come to a place like this". I was mad....oooohhh if we're not careful we may have to stoop to living in the real world. We get commodities from our tribe to help feed our kids, and I have to say I am very grateful. Anyways, not to hijack your post, just saying I know how you feel. Ya'll will be in our prayers.

Reaction score
It's all part of the "I got mine sucks to be you" mentality that is very prevalent in our society. The gap between rich and what used to be middle class is getting wider each year. I don't think the gov has a right to cap wages usually. However when our government lends money to the banking and investment industry, then they should at least pay all the money back before they give out bonuses that are higher than what 90% of the country earns. Some of these people should remember the French Revolution. Not that I would expect that here. I would expect something closer to Soylent Green. The haves could give a you know what about the have nots.

Reaction score
What amazes me is the number of million dollar home that are out there. I know that in some places like LA and the Bay Area in CA. that million dollar homes are just run of the mill. However her in Colorado a run of the mill home in the Denver metro area is in the 200-300 range. Yet there are neighborhoods where there are hundreds of homes in the million dollar range. When I go to one of these neighborhoods to look at damage on their car I always wonder what these people do to make that much money.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I wouldn't complain about taking that $ 98,000. I could get my acreage, build a cheap home and get the homestead running. Then fill the pantry to get us by till the first harvest.
He needs a dose of reality.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sooooo disgusting. The wider the gap, the more problems there are going to be.

Some of my family makes a pretty hefty income, and they have been hit hard in this downturn. But, they've always been frugal with their money and will ride it out easily. Plus, they are humble and have no problem with cutting back on things they need to cut back on. Still, it's been nice to see them more fully understand how people who earn less than them have impossible choices to make...

Even though I consider myself closer to the bottom (MUCH closer) than the top, it's all relative. We both still have jobs, a home, insurance and a paid-for car (really old, but still running), so we are doing very, very well.

I agree with your feelings, though, that it's disgusting to be so concerned about having a bonus cut down to what is still much larger than most 2-income families earn in a year. It'd be a nice time to look around, see the need and try to help out a bit. Unless, of course, this man is completely strapped as mentioned above.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sad to say, but it's more prevalent than you could ever know! There are so many that I know personally and, like On Our Own, I just have to bite my tongue to keep from either laughing or lunging across the room and ripping out a trachea with my teeth..... :p

My boss will alternate between complaining about her salary not being big enough and bragging that her monthly animal feed bill is bigger than my monthly paycheck. She paid more for two of her horses than my landlord paid for this house. Well, like you, I feel that one is entitled to their riches or their lifestyle ~they worked for or inherited it~but don't have the nerve to complain about not having enough money around me...... :rant

She has health care for her family and a fat salary, and I am still per diem after two years of working my butt off. She has 6 new vehicles~all paid for~a huge house, etc. etc. No, I'm not envious...she never smiles and she has no friends, but it still goes up my spine when folks like this complain about budget cuts, blah, blah, blah.

I have several family members whose annual income is six times what I make and they are so deeply in debt that they don't have two dimes to rub together. Go figure! :hu

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I truly don't care if someone has a lot of money and is impressed with that. Their problem not mine.
But I hate that there aren't the good jobs any more for ordinary, reasonably hardworking people to have enough income to have a middle house, a good school, good health care and a retirement plan.
I don't think that the rich are really getting richer as much as the middle ranks are getting poorer.
When did it become fashionable to screw over your neighbor and think the solution to social problems created is charity- that you can so lack honor that you screw the last bit of profit from every one you can?
We are becoming a nation of bread and circuses.