The xXx Gloom & Doom Report

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I also believe the Main Stream Media is praying on these things in order to boost ratings.
This.

Is huge.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Lately we have been watching a lot of old movies and educational films that are now public domain. (I KNOW we are SO cool at my house. :lol:)

The thing is that a lot of these old films had subjects like: Proper table manners, How to date responsibly, Hand washing, Being a good citizen, Being responsible for yourself, Making choices that help you grow up to be a decent adult, Serving your country and a BUNCH of others.

OK some of the one's we watch had Riff tracks attached (hubby loves his Riff tracks), but the thing that most struck me is how bad we need instruction videos like that stuff TODAY!! Being a kind, responsible, person does not go out of style. Instead of taking these things seriously we now make fun of them.

You all know the sad results.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Riff tracks are commentary tracks you play along side movies so you get the "Mystery Science Theater" experience :D

It's done by the main writer that was on MST3K.

http://www.rifftrax.com/

I am picking up episodes of MST3K as I find them on sale on DVD. I so miss that show!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Riff tracks are commentary tracks you play along side movies so you get the "Mystery Science Theater" experience :D

It's done by the main writer that was on MST3K.

http://www.rifftrax.com/

I am picking up episodes of MST3K as I find them on sale on DVD. I so miss that show!
I love that there are freaks like us on this forum. Wifey you would SO fit into our household. :lol:

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think the biggest part of the societal problem is that nothing is taboo any more. It's not taboo to kill somebody, it's not taboo to rape somebody, beat somebody, cheat, lie, steal ... it's glamorized to a point in the media. While they may not say the "good" guys do these things in the movies, see enough movies over a long enough period of time and it becomes commonplace to see all of these things and hence not a shocker, so people shrug and move on without even giving pause to what has happened.

Another thing is nobody is held accountable for anything because ya know ... if your father had one drink, if he slapped you upside the head for having a mouth of a 20 year old when you were 10, if your mother left/cheated/sneezed on you/looked at you cross eyed ... all of these things give you a "tough" childhood and since it was so hard, the bad things you do are undoubtedly a direct cause of your upbringing ... it could not POSSIBLY be that you made the choice to do said wrong thing under your own will and made a conscious decision to do it ... :barnie

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The lack of personal responsibility in our culture is SO dispiriting. Everything bad that happens to you must be someone else's fault. You know, sometimes we don't get what we want due to our own personal decisions; other times, "sh*t happens." But to go into a place of business & shoot 8 people because you're in a dispute with your ex? Or to beat someone to a pulp because they "disrespected" you? And I don't see how any of that is tied to the economy. If you saw where/how my ex-DH grew up, he would have every excuse in the book to be a violent hoodlum, but he wasn't. (He was a jerk, but not a violent hoodlum.) I don't know, folks; seems we are going downhill fast & I don't see any obvious way out. :(

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie said:
We don't have your notion of impending doom here in Canada, nor do I see it in other places in the world (we have friends and family in the UK, Sweden, Poland, Australia, New Zealand). But we have great financial stability, except that our dollar is somewhat tied to yours on the global stage.

Here in Canada, or at least in the circles in which my family/friends run, we pretty much think that your terrorists have won--you're all terrified of the unknown, 24/7.

The sky isn't actually falling, life isn't so bad.

And, don't get me wrong. I've been poor most of my life, hubs was out of work for half of 2010, and we've had our share of hard times. I know what it is to work hard and wonder why I'm not getting ahead. But that said, I've always trusted in my faith and everything has always worked out just fine--even when it felt like I was on the edge of losing everything. I always try to remember that I've got it far far better than the majority of the world's population and that it is up to me to remain positive rather than worry or complain. I LIVE my life each day, rather than worrying too much about tomorrow and teach my kids to do the same.
I have friends in Spain and Germany. The ones in Spain are watching Greece and realizing the same thing may be heading in their direction, and they are doing what they can to prepare. Italy and Portugal aren't too far behind Greece either. The family in Germany say that they and their friends are angry about their country having to bail out half of the EU, and they are to the point of advocating the dissolving the EU and the Euro. If the EU falls apart some of the largest banks in the world will probably go under, dragging the world economy down with them. Even if they manage to pull through, the US financial system will likely implode at some point in the not too distant future, dragging the rest of the world down with us. I believe that US politicians are actively praying for the EU to go under first, so that they can blame our demise on that event, and not what we and our elected "representatives" have done to ourselves.

It isn't so much the fear of the unknown, quite the opposite, it is the fear of what we know. We know that we (the US) are borrowing 40 cents of every dollar that we spend. We know that as of recently we have more people taking money from the system, than are paying into the system. We know that we have made far more promises is social programs than can ever be delivered. And we know that we can't get away with the charade for much longer. The average person in the US does not fear terrorists, but we do fear the consequences of what we have allowed to be done to us in the name of social programs.

No the sky isn't falling... yet. But when you have an increasing chorus of world financial and political leader telling us that we have a better than 50/50 chance of a world wide economic meltdown and depression, it's time to start preparing for the chance that the sky may indeed fall. YMMV

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Koxxx, dark times will soon be here.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Moolie, I really appreciate your perspective as an someone looking at our situation from the outside. I tend to see most things on the sunny side and do not watch television or the news which really helps. But I do think kOxxx has an interesting point on where the doom and gloom is coming from. I don't think it's coming from terrorists (unless you consider main stream media terrorists!) It's coming from the knowledge that in general, we have overspent and overextended personally and as a country. It's now time to pay our dues because we are on an unsustainable path. Fixing the problem won't be any fun but if we all got down to it, it wouldn't be as bad as any of us imagined.

I liken it to a child knowing they've done something wrong and knowing they're going to get a spanking. Owning up to your misdeed and anticipating the spanking are worse than the paddling itself. Right now, we're all just dreading that paddling that coming instead of getting it over with and readjusting and moving on.