The_whingnut's road to ........................

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well it's Dec and we are pretty settled in on the property. Just clearing sites, planning gardens and trying to fill the pantry and freezer. DW has been working on clearing trails for walking and tending the site while I'm at school. I'm constantly trying to keep the equipment up and running. Hopefully soon I can get a few truck loads of wood chips and sawdust for outer garden beds. Going to do a modified lasagna garden bed. 😋

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i can't tell from the pictures upthread if the area you are working with is a mixed forest or a plantation forest?

if you get a chance next time the morels come out to grab some and rinse them off but keep the rinse water and scatter it about. i'm amazed by what has happened here after doing that some years ago. :)

putting sawdust and woodchips down is good but if you can get stuff from the power company tree trimming crews that chew up whole trees along with the bark, twigs, leaves, etc. is much better overall. sometimes you can find crews out and if they are nearby they'll gladly dump them instead of having to haul and dump them someplace further away.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i can't tell from the pictures upthread if the area you are working with is a mixed forest or a plantation forest?

if you get a chance next time the morels come out to grab some and rinse them off but keep the rinse water and scatter it about. i'm amazed by what has happened here after doing that some years ago. :)

putting sawdust and woodchips down is good but if you can get stuff from the power company tree trimming crews that chew up whole trees along with the bark, twigs, leaves, etc. is much better overall. sometimes you can find crews out and if they are nearby they'll gladly dump them instead of having to haul and dump them someplace further away.
Yup we are planning on doing morel water and inoculations of other wild mushrooms. This is mixed forest. The power company came through last year, but all the crew for the county know they can dump their trucks here. We have a sawyer just down the road I need to go talk to them about chips and sawdust.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well some pictures from our snow last month

Attachments

• 20240115_090937.jpg
    20240115_090937.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240114_213324.jpg
    20240114_213324.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 33