Then and now...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my goodness it was so hot back then. We had no a.c. and only one fan that Daddy and Mama kept in their bedroom. Afterall, Daddy had to work. July and August in Arkansas is unbearable but we did. An open window and a wet washcloth is to dab on the hot parts until eventually you were asleep. Of course we played hard outside all day so it probably didn't take all that time to doze off.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh and who could forget the outhouse!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great stories! I love strolling down memory lane, and love the pics...so, if you have em, show em! I would loved to have lived in simpler times, but I guess it's all relative no matter what time period someone lived. Heck, imagine the old timer cave people after fire was discovered or the wheel was invented....I can just hear them now. "We didn't have them when I was a kid".

Annabellam

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
What beautiful memories. Took me back to my childhood days. So much has changed over the years!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Annabellam so much have changed! I loved looking back and remembering and hearing the stories and seeing the pics here. Please share some of yours?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about "way back when" pics.

Here is a grammar school pic of me.
Jimmy - Grammar School.jpg

And, this is my HS graduation pic.
jim_in_hs.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember the huge backseat of our 1958 (I think?) Chevy, with the little ropes hanging from the back of the front seats for us to grab in emergency (lol). My little brother would sit in the middle of the seat and force me to sit scrunched up on one side. If I started to whine, he would complain too. It usually ended with my mom reaching around and smacking us both.

I remember hot-stepping on the pavement for the first few days of summer vacation, until our feet toughened up and we could run everywhere barefoot.

I remember the bakery truck that came down the street every morning with fresh bread, pastries and donuts for sale in the back. The donuts were wonderful with the whole milk we drank out of the glass bottles with the paper caps that got delivered twice a week.

I remember wearing a dress as opposed to pants most of the time. The exception was when we went camping.

Me, my brother, and Dad
Ontario bicycle trip.jpg

Christmas morning. By the way, the TV stopped working somewhere around this time, because my mother was annoyed and brother and me arguing over which cartoons to watch. She pulled the plug.... OUT OF THE TV. It didn't get replaced for about 8 years (I was in high school by that time)
Ontario Christmas.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great pics, @Britesea . I remember those ropes in the back of the old Chevy, too. My sister and I would sometimes kneel on the back seat and lean against the front seat if we wanted a better view. Nowadays, you'd get stopped by a cop if you drove like that with your kids, and then become involved with some child agency! Remember the fly windows in the front. Sorry they did away with them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Love the pics! Thank you for sharing. I think I have one or two somewhere here, I'll do some digging today and see. Sadly most of my childhood pics stayed behind when we emigrated, though an aunt promised me she will send me some soon.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yay, I figured out how to take a pic and Bluetooth it to my laptop with my new phone LOL Back to the present and wonderful technology?!?

These are my parents, circa 1979/1980 at my first childhood home. We moved from there when I was 3 years old, but I still have some vivid memories of the place

IMG_20170211_092100.jpg

Latest posts