There was no plan, but here I am

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And I am not fully self-sufficient, but I am making progress.

I was a single mom with a struggling small business in the post 9-11 economy when I bought an all-electric house in October 2001.

What I learned about solar was: It will not support energy-hog appliances. So instead of starting at the solar point, I switched my electricity plan to wind, added insulation in the attic. That was about year one on the insulation, and about year 5 on the wind plan. It had to be available first. I have central heat and air - when I threw some mothballs in the attic to chase out rats I discovered quickly that my ductwork leaked - as soon as the a/c kicked on my whole house reeked of mothballs. This would be 2005. So at 6 am the next morning I hit the attic and wrapped the ductwork. A small house in full sun in Texas has got to have a/c, so the central will go when A. It breaks and I go to window units. Or B. I have a better alternative.

2010 featured an almost recordbreaking string of 100 degree days. About a week in I observed that when I throw a white sheet over a bucket of fish, the fish stay cooler by 15 degrees. (I keep pond fish and was cleaning the pond)
So at the crack of dawn the next morning I took a gallon of Kilz 2 to the roof and painted it white. Only had enough to do the eastern and southern end. Fortunately no HOA. But the areas I painted stayed cooler than the rest of the house. I have, by the way, been hanging white plastic blinds on the OUTSIDE of my eastern and southern windows since year 1. Actually since my former house, sometime in the mid-90's. Doesn't help with heat, does help with cooling. But the roof paint still made a huge difference.

This stuff was pretty cool!

In September 2010 I started ripping out rotten window frames, got my helpers out here to help me put new wood and paint and caulk around my old windows. (couldn't afford new dual pane windows.) Finally got the whole house fairly well sealed up.

Winter 2010 was the coldest on record in many years, and my electric central heat totally failed to heat my house, but ran me up huge bills. Then we had rolling blackouts to boot. So 2011 was the year I swore to start getting off grid. My new year's resolution so to speak.

I bought 5 gallons of Kilz2 (cheaper than roof paint and ok on shingles) and painted almost all of the roof white in April
I refinished my antique wood stove in June and had it connected.
I gave away my range and dishwasher in May. The dishwasher I'm not replacing, except with a cabinet. (hadn't used it in 2 years)
The range was replaced with an induction cooktop I got on Amazon for $55. It is a Max Burton 6000. Takes steel or iron pans to work.
I plan to get a second one - to put in a drawer until I have a family dinner event that takes 2 burners. I love this thing. heats up faster than electric, cools down faster. For an oven I'll try to find an outdoor propane oven, I hadn't used it more than 6 times a year in years, and Texas is hot.

We had 70 days over 100 this year and I had the cheapest summer electric bills I have ever had.
My wood stove, fueled by my fenceline hackberries, seems to do an adequate job of heating the house.

I bought a 15 watt solar panel and converter, battery, etc., to keep my pond fish alive if the rolling blackouts hit this summer. (air pumps use 5 watts) And to learn to work with solar. More to come....

Gypsi

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Energ self rliance, woohoo! Welcome to the Journaling crowd!

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If only it were just energy self-reliance. I've been doing my own plumbing and learned electrical this spring. I have a ways to go before I'll be building solar panels. But I am going to gradually get an off-grid system built. The fish pay the bills, barring emergencies, electricity is NOT optional.

I also put the first garden in during spring 2002, it has expanded and grown, lots of compost piles - asparagus, onions, melons, tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, kentucky wonder green beans climbing the shrubs that help shade in the middle, provide bird habitat in winter. Broccoli, swiss chard and romaine lettuce along with the onions for winter crops, Squash in summer. A pumpkin if it fruits before it freezes.. Would like to use methane to run an outdoor kitchen, but figure I should start with propane while I get all of the plumbing right and structural stuff like brick and mortar built - my goal - an outdoor oven. Grills schmills... Then methane generation to power it, will probably have to change the gas nozzle tips in any appliances.

I also got bees this spring, but beekeeping has some very specialized knowledge. Still have hives, but not bees. The dearth, robber bees, inaccurate advice from the gal I bought the bees from, and a good old school of hard knocks education. Will get more bees in spring. Joined my local beekeepers group for better local info, group buying power.

And I have chickens, 5 hens who will be 2 yrs old in spring, 5 chicks in the greenhouse, actually pullets. One is cross-beaked and probably won't make it through winter, but that will be as it will be.

I've got so many projects going it is hard to remember what they are, many have been underway for years.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There are several people on here that have bees. They may be able to help. I'd like to have bees, but am highly allergic to honey bees, so I'm not going to risk it. :(

And, B4 I forget, :welcome

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got most of my bee education - got a warranty hive (meaning 2 frames of bees in a deep with an empty super on top) at the first of August, and they became my teachers. Had them up to 7 frames when the final robbery occurred. I can now deal with ants, prevent wax moth and shb, and clean up varroa mites, had a weekly mite count of 2 just before the robbers hit in full force. And I mean full force, I walked through a cloud of bees to cover the hive. 2500? 25000 possibly. They were uninterested in humans. Live and learn, but I'll know what to do and NOT do next year. And that is progress. Now if only it would rain.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I could, I'd send you some. It's supposed to rain here starting tonight and rain tomorrow. We don't really need it. :/

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Texas drought is approaching the stage of the 1950's drought, it's bad, lake levels 17 ft below normal, cities on varying levels of water restrictions.

That's why the robber bees were so aggressive, they were starving. No pollen, no nectar, except my yard or the occasional garden or flower bed, all brown. I didn't water the grass, just little green islands under my trees. Used soaker hoses under rubber tarp to water the garden. 20 minutes a day got me many, many cantaloupe and watermelon and yellow summer squash. Just now getting tomatoes.

I would cheerfully take your rain, but the transportation issue could be rough. Maybe Texas should build a water pipeline connected to Louisiana?

S

sunsaver

Good luck with all your projects. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Let me know if you need help designing your solar power system.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Good luck with all your projects. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Let me know if you need help designing your solar power system.
I will probably need the help, but I followed your parts links Sunsaver, and first I need money.

I do not know if I can daisy chain batteries and solar panels off the current rig I've got. I have a NPower 400 watt inverter, an NPower 7 amp Solar Charge controller, and an Npower 15 watt solar 12 volt battery charger. I initially used my truck battery from the chevy I don't drive often, but when I needed the chevy, I bought a lawn mower battery at Home Depot. This system won't put enough charge on to continuously run a 5 watt and a 3.3 watt air pump 24/7, with 12 to 13 hours of good charging time. The battery would go dead after 2 days on the truck battery, about a day on the lawn mower battery if I let the air pumps run overnight. So for an emergency heat of the day backup, it was ok. But it's not much. Especially since I spent $150 on the main components at Northern Tool. (the lawn mower battery was only $25)

I have a Costco card - they want $399 for a 40 watt solar panel, not sure if it is 12 volt or 24, the price put me off. I run a very lean budget...

Anyway, that's what I've got. I've taken residential wiring and jump-started plenty of vehicles. Can I expand on this in a reasonably priced manner, or did I buy junk?

Latest posts