They came! They came!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well...I went a little crazy. I got three apples, a pear, a peach, a plum, a pluot, an almond, a jujube, a fig, and a mulberry. We already have a tangerine, three oranges, two pomegranates, and two lemons. Last year I planted an avocado, four blueberries, two blackberries, two boysenberries, and four grapevines. I don't have a lot of time to garden, but I really love raising my own food. I'm hoping the fruit will satisfy that desire without being too high maintenance. :)

What kind of plums did you get?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! That is so exciting! Now I have lots of questions for you. What do you do with jujubes? Do you dry them? How are your boysenberries doing? Are they thornless or regular?

Our plums are Beauty and Mariposa. We plan to plant them together. The pomegranate and persimmon I hope to espalier.

We also have an orange, lemon, avocado (hasn't produced yet) 3 peaches and an apricot.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I love this thread! I have been trying to create "edible gardens" at each of my last couple of houses. We already had too MUCH blackberry here and also what I think are called salmon berry, mostly tasteless, so we needed to add!
We have planted blueberry, strawberries in the spring, and rasberries. For trees we have so far centered on apples and asian pears which we had great success with at our last house (with similar climate and location) so we replanted the kinds that did well there.

In the springtime I'm planning a veggie garden instead of planting trees this year but I normally have liked to work the trees with edible fruits into the landscaping. I would love to hear how that worked for everyone, planting these types of trees.

My biggest success has been blueberries, although they have not necessarily thrived for me because we get so much rain our soil is real acid. I've had better luck in pots but they look interesting year round.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love edible landscaping. Our front yard is fairly standard landscaping plants, but we do have the lemon and the avocado out there. I also had a giant bird of paradise in the front but I realized, "why?!" so I had dh chop it down and it will be a lovely spot to plant something useful. We have a lawn in our backyard, but every tree is a fruit tree and the beds are all veggies and berries. The chickens get the side yard with a few ornamentals that they won't destroy and sprouted seeds from the bird feeder. My entire property is 50x100 feet, so every inch counts.