things are looking good in the rabbitry

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a nice looking set up for your rabbits. It is plain to see that they are kept clean and are well cared for.

I nailed up a 2x4 with nylon string loops when I butchered rabbits. I could hang 6 at a time.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You have a nice looking set up for your rabbits. It is plain to see that they are kept clean and are well cared for.

I nailed up a 2x4 with nylon string loops when I butchered rabbits. I could hang 6 at a time.

I don't even bother hanging them. Just poke a hole threw the fur on the back, put my fingers in and pull. Take off the paints and shirt, chop off the head and feet, and then gut em. Takes less than 5 mins per rabbit.

The long part is making the cuts, cutting and pulling off the extra fat off the cuts and sinew off the back and then vacuum sealing them.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The woodchips under the hutch was a great idea btw. Its already started breaking down. I just mix it around with a rake every now and then. I think it's going to be awesome compost!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180215_174823.jpg

That other doe kindled right behind her sister. Early as well.....or maybe I marked my calender wrong. Idk

6 more kits

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler , would you take close up pictures of your hutches? What did you use to connect the sides to the bottom? It's been over 30 years since I kept rabbits, so I'm starting all over. (I'm actually watching craigslists free stuff lists for free rabbits and hutches... I've gotten a lot of free wood that way).

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just built wire cages and hung them under the roof with bailing wire. The cage is removable from the structure

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on the new arrivals! Looking at your set-up here, it looks like rabbits are a great option for raising meat animals, especially for those with limited space. It's a simple enough set-up, doesn't take too much space, the rabbits themselves are easy to keep, butcher, etc… If one can get past the "cute" factor, they are great!

Latest posts