Things To Know Before Getting Geese

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 2 ponds. I’m considering geese. In due time, got way too much on my plate right now. A goose for Christmas dinner would be awesome.

Also considering trying Muscovy ducks again. My Great Pyrenees, Trip, decided ducks were on HIS menu and he ate them. He’s gone now, will have to train the Anatolians to leave them alone.

1 pond is fenced in, that’s where sheep and Anatolians are. The other pond in in the back field, fence is in terrible disrepair, will have to clean fence row, replace fence before I can do anything in that field.

Thoughts for the future……

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, our garden isn't big enough; otherwise, I want some ducks and geese.

I like goose meat - complicated seasoning and cooking aren't necessary - the meat itself is flavorful as long as it's fresh. Proper brining is more than enough.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Waterfowl can sure be messy in a small area. I raised some Perkins for the freezer in our small backyard in Livingston one time. Once was enough. Never again unless a pond and plenty of room are involved.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Waterfowl can sure be messy in a small area. I raised some Perkins for the freezer in our small backyard in Livingston one time. Once was enough. Never again unless a pond and plenty of room are involved.

I was going to mention that, they are terrible for ****ting everywhere and ruining the ground, I would never have them again.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was going to mention that, they are terrible for ****ting everywhere and ruining the ground, I would never have them again.
Are Muscovy ducks available to you? They are a perching duck from South America. They are the only domestic duck not descended from the Mallards. They make fine farm ducks.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are Muscovy ducks available to you? They are a perching duck from South America. They are the only domestic duck not descended from the Mallards. They make fine farm ducks.
Yeah we have Muscovy here, had them when I was a kid, I can't really remember them much but we had a bunch of different cross bred types, all I remember is the ground being soured really badly. I have a lot of wild ducks at my place, also a type called a Paradise duck which I really don't like, they are incredibly loud and can ruin a hunt very fast as deer learn their call is a warning.
I think I will stick with chickens and quail, I did have a friend offer to give me some Peacocks, not sure if that's a good thing though as I would want them eventually free range, and they will probably destroy my future gardens if roaming free.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peacocks go semi wild, and you absolutely cannot keep them out of your garden. My favorite is the India Blue and I love to hear their calls. The Lufkin zoo has lots of them, they roam the zoo grounds. So I can get my peacock fix there. Don’t want any.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Peacocks go semi wild, and you absolutely cannot keep them out of your garden. My favorite is the India Blue and I love to hear their calls. The Lufkin zoo has lots of them, they roam the zoo grounds. So I can get my peacock fix there. Don’t want any.
My friend has to fence and cover all of his gardens, and the peacocks roost on the railing around his porch so he is always cleaning up their crap. They look nice but I think it's a no for me. 😄