thinking about getting a foodsaver and have some ?????

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said already. When we do beef, the ground beef gets put in 2 lb packages, sealed, and flattened out. Easy stacking and storage in the freezer!

As far as ease of use, this old guy can do it, so it can't be that hard! :p

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My daughter has one and LOVES it! I'm going to have to mention Cabela's to her for the bags.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one that I bought second-hand last year, but I really only use it for jars--we try not to use much plastic around food.

But it works super with canning jars, I just save all the metal lids that the kids haven't bent when opening canned food and use my foodsaver to seal up dry pantry items, dried fruit and veggies, leftovers (works great to keep cooked meat fresh for sandwiches) that go into the fridge etc.

I plan on making up a few gift jars of soup mixes and baking mixes (brownies, chocolate chip cookies) for Christmas with it as well, I've been saving a number of non-mason jars that fit standard regular mouth canning lids for my gifting :)

jh

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have a Foodsaver which we use for everything. We watch the ads for really good meat deals and buy in bulk and cut the meat into servings and put them in the foodsaver, We have a nice vegetable garden and fruit trees , so we use the foodsaver for those also. I would highly recomend the Foodsaver

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've never had a foodsaver and I have always wondered how you keep the liquid or wet food from being sucked into the vacuum pump?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mines got a little catch area where you put the open ends of the bag. All liquid ends up there. Then I can just pull that out and wash it.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did notice that the 2 more expencive said for wet/dry. but the cheapest didnt.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Look for off brand bags also. I know univen rolls fit some foodsavers and might be cheaper. Also order online newegg.com sometimes has deals.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Flytyer24 said:
Look for off brand bags also. I know univen rolls fit some foodsavers and might be cheaper. Also order online newegg.com sometimes has deals.
We have a big name lumber store here that runs fantastic sales on off brand bags. We stock up every time! ;)

Boogity
We've never had a foodsaver and I have always wondered how you keep the liquid or wet food from being sucked into the vacuum pump?
Our machine has a moist setting. It works OK, although I do have to empty the little tray frequently for the really juicy stuff!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Okay I have also gotten those square glad plastic containers and froze things (soups and other wet stuff like stock) over night in them and them popped them out and put in vacpacks. they stack well that way.
I've also filled the bags and put them in box with open tops till they freeze and then vacpack the next day. Sounds like a PITA but not too bad.. just make the bags and sit them upright in boxes(or other things so that they don't spill) fill them and put whole kebang in freezer and then they vac pack nice the next day.
I've also taken my own veggies like broccoli and cauliflower and steamed them, ran them thru the salad spinner and froze them on cookie sheets and then vac packed them. no extra moisture in machine.
I've also frozen extra chicken(especially wings when on sale raw) froze it on cookie sheets taken them out and dipped them in icy water and froze again(like dipping candles) and put in freezer bags and vacpacked. that way I can take out what I need without having to use whole big bags. like preportioned stuff sold now in stores.
Sure it is extra work but most of the stuff in my freezer stays really nice for years. I have blueberries from two years ago when they were really nice and I picked tons. good thing cuz I haven't been able to go last summer or this one. but I only have two packs left.. gonna have to be for special.. maybe fresh home made blueberry/cream cheese danish for Christmas morning with my family or even blueberry muffins or pie for Solstice bonfire.
Those blueberries I froze on cookies sheets and then measured and vacpacked.
and finally on off brand rolls of plastic.. I've used walmarts and a couple others and they seem to do well like the foodsaver brand.