Thinking about taking the plunge!!!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so for awhile now I've really been wanting to go part-time at work so that I could stay home and really be able to have the time to do more SS activities (cause Lord knows it takes lots and lots of time!!! ) We (hubby and I) already planned on on me going part-time when we start our family (later this year) and have been planning financially for it.

We're already living well within of what our budget would be with me PT and hubby FT and we've been able to put a lot into savings. Right now we have enough to pay all of our bills for several months if something would happen and we have a few bills (luxuries) that could be nixed in that situation. I just really really want to do this. Not that I don't like my job but I would really like to have a life and be able to spend more time with my family! Plus the hubby and I already talked and are in agreement that financially we should be fine and that I can go for it now if I want! Plus I work in healthcare so I could pick up PRN at times if need be.

So I guess my question is...am I crazy??? I've never NOT worked FT so it feels really weird but its really what I want. Not that I would never go back to FT at some point.

So...whatcha think?? :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
If you are starting a family, it just makes sense, if you ask me, if you can afford to, to stay home as much as possible. You can always refine your work schedule when (or if) you feel you would like to later. Enjoy your chance to do something different. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The most important job on this planet, IMO, is raising children. You are the best person for that job. Only you will truly ooo and ahhh over every little accomplishment, and only you will really care to shape and mold them....a hired hand really only needs to keep them alive and relatively in one piece until you pick them up.

So you asked for opinions....I think you are not crazy, that you will really enjoy all your projects (once you get past the learning curve phase!) and ask any teacher if they can tell the difference in the children when a parent raises them in a stable household.

I now work sorta part time. We have no children, but I save so much with my projects that when it is possible, I will stay home full-time. I can't wait! I have so many more projects I'd like to have time to do.

Keep in mind as you start this adventure that each skill builds on the previously mastered skill, and that each new project gets easier and easier. Seriously!

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You sound pretty secure, I'd say go for it! The only thing I think of is, the longer you work full time, the more you can sock into savings and not have to work after you have bebes. But, if you're part-time, you're still bringing in money and can possibly save money doing ss type things.

And from someone who will never be able to stay home--give your husband a big kiss (and whatever else you may want to give him lol) as thanks for working and allowing you to be home to raise your future kids. I'm jealous.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The other really awesome part of all of this is that hubby works 3 12 hr shifts so he's also home 4 days a week so worst case scenario is that we would need a sitter 3 days a week. Best case is one day a week and his sched changes every week so it would fluctuate. And best of all is that between his parents and my parents we have all the babysitters we could want for free!!

The other part of all of this is that I know we could save money if one of us would be able to stay at home to do all of the things. And I would much rather be at home gardening and tending to animals than going to work everyday!! And I just really would like to enjoy my life now especially while I can. I see older people at work everyday that worked their entire lives so they could one day "retire and enjoy life". But instead they worked so hard they're disabled and in a nursing home struggling to pay all of those bills! Or they're retirement that they worked so hard for is suddenly no longer there b/c of the market! It's really very sad.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your healthcare status is, but I'm a nurse. I am also a bridge tender, because my feet hurt too much when I'm working long hours. Nursing makes my bank account fatter, but it also makes my feet fatter and throb. I simply can't totally let it go though.
I am so into SS projects.....have been for most of my life. I'm not by nature very thrusting, so I am always saying,"What if this happens and I can't pay that?" and twice I had employers that proved my suspicious nature correct.
My way of thinking is that I have to do everything here on the 'place' that I can for the family and have things in order, just in case TSHTF.
If you become good enough with your SS projects and use the nursing process with your farming (APIE), you will be successful to some degree and not require much money to survive.
If I can do it, you can. The trick is to plan and execute properly and it sounds like you have a game plan.
I read once in one of my resource books that anything you put into your garden or farm will give you back 7 Xs your investment and that included payment for your work. You can't get that kinda return anywhere else. In a small way, SSers are self-employed. But you will have to be self-disciplined and always evaluating and implimenting...not just planning.
Good luck.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can sure identify with wanting to stay home and do SS projects. I have worked all my life, but now I'm ready to retire from a life-sucking job. Next Monday is my last day!! I'm countin' down the hours! I have plans to get chickens, put in my first garden in about 10 years, find a source for raw milk, lots of other stuff that is SS. It is really kinda scary considering the economy, living without health insurance for a little while, getting old, etc. But continuing to work with all the stress was making me sick, literally. Have already started baking our own bread and buying real butter. Gotta get some leaf lard to render. I know I will come back here for advice often. So many things I don't know! Wish me luck! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have my leaf lard in the Dutch oven right now!! And the suet ground up to render tomorrow into tallow. This is a great place to learn and to get support for all your projects. And lots of nerds here, too, to give you the science behind why it is better! :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
There are also advantages to part time that you can't even see right now. Money saved on eating out because you have time and energy to fix meals. Even more together time with hubby, because you have time to get the errands ran while he is at work. Not to mention the money earned with your SS projects like gardening!

My job at school is full time, but we have two months in summer off and lots of breaks throughout the year which gives me lots of time to do SS projects. Before that when the kids were little I was a stay at home mom with lots of VERY part time ways I made a bit of extra money. I loved it and never had a bored moment. Hubby liked it too. ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm working part time on a horse farm right now, and I'm planning on quitting at the end of the year. It's just getting to be too much on me, plus I'd rather put all the energy and effort into doing SS stuff. (Nothing quite like doing physical work all day, then coming home and cutting and splitting firewood!) I'd quit now, but I need the money, but if things go the way I think they will, I'll be able to quit then w/no problem.

I used to be home all day, and I really miss it. Some days, I just don't want to get up, and go care for someone else's horses.

Latest posts