thinning out my kitchen gadgets, what to keep?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I never have enough measuring cups and spoons- I like to leave them in things like oatmeal or cocoa that I use frequently so I don't have to hunt for one when I use them.

Re: can openers- I love my OXO manual one- has a big knob. Same with the OXO garlic press (although I have seen a different one from them.)

Hmmmm..........I've got to get out my apple peeler tonight- I picked a lot of apples and need to ge them in the dehydrator.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The only ones I keep on the counter are the microwave (rarely used) and the toaster. Both of them on a power strip so I can turn it off to avoid phantom energy use.

Total gadgets are the usual, I guess:

Canners and equipment
cooking utensils
wheat grinder
crockpot

I bet you guys would feel bereft in my kitchen, as I have pared way down over the years in the interest of simplicity and space saving. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Microwave, toaster, measuring spoons and cups, slow cooker/crock pot. Actually, I prefer my roasting pan in the oven to my slow cooker.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I try to keep the gadgets to a minimum because my kitchen is so tiny. I have a toaster, blender, KitchenAid stand mixer(that I hate, but can't get by without either) and coffee pot. I wish I had more good measuring spoons and cups, but I'm not going to go out and buy any. My best kitchen tools are my knives. I was given some good ones as a wedding gift and I recently had them professionally sharpened in exchange for EGGS :D

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
So I guess what I'm asking is what can you not live without as far as kitchen gadgets go? I see to have developed a habit of collecting them and really don't have room for a lot of what I've got, especially since I hardly use some of them. Can I live without my waffle fry potato slicer? Two different sized crockpots? Looking to see what others can and can't live without in order to simplify my space and life. Thanks!
I'll take the waffle fry cutter if you haven't gotton rid of it. My kids love waffle fries but we can only buy them at the grocer.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That's what I'm looking to do, declutter but still have what I need. What I don't have a lot of is space or patience to keep digging in overstuffed drawers for things. Oh and I keep both the microwave and toaster unplugged unless I'm using them for the same reason. That and I once tossed a bag onto the counter as I walked in the door. It leaned against the toaster button and held it half way down. The toaster started smoking and probably would have started a fire if I hadn't noticed almost right away and been able to unplug it. :eek:
Beekissed said:
The only ones I keep on the counter are the microwave (rarely used) and the toaster. Both of them on a power strip so I can turn it off to avoid phantom energy use.

Total gadgets are the usual, I guess:

Canners and equipment
cooking utensils
wheat grinder
crockpot

I bet you guys would feel bereft in my kitchen, as I have pared way down over the years in the interest of simplicity and space saving. :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Well, now I'm going to go check my drawers. I know there are things in there I don't need. Like the fancy corkscrew (I have never used), the apple corer (rather cut it) and who knows what else.

I don't consider my crockpots, measuring cups/spoons, microwave or cooking utensils gadgets because I do use them frequently.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What I woud suggest is to get a big box and put in it what you feel you don't really need. If you go a year without using any of it-put it out to Goodwill. You will find this way what you need and what you can live without. If there are certain things that you only use on certain occasions, put them in a closet out of your kitchen, and take out when needed.

This is also useful for clothes--if you haven't worn it in a year--toss it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That's very similar to what Alton Brown suggests. Only he recommends getting a box and storing things in it as you use them. Anything not in the box after 6 months goes. Your way sounds a lot neater. The though of digging through a box to get to stuff I do used doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
miss_thenorth said:
What I woud suggest is to get a big box and put in it what you feel you don't really need. If you go a year without using any of it-put it out to Goodwill. You will find this way what you need and what you can live without. If there are certain things that you only use on certain occasions, put them in a closet out of your kitchen, and take out when needed.

This is also useful for clothes--if you haven't worn it in a year--toss it.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love kitchen gadgets... and as of the moment, feel like I have some empty cabinet space anyway, so I'm not going to worry about throwing anything away until I run out of room, or move somewhere with smaller cabinets. I just can't resist a fun kitchen thing. Sigh.