THIS is why we prepare!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Someone on BYC posted this story about rescuing 40 chickens from starvation and death:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4418863#p4418863

I'm a little bit appalled that the chickens took precedence over the family.

Before anyone rescued my "starving chickens" my starving family would be eating them!

My heart hurts for this family and what they must be going through. The poster said the people can't get jobs due to some disability, and they have a toddler. They're living in a 3 sided shelter - but they rescued the chickens!

:hit

eta: I say this is why we prepare, because if we're prepared and hit the same personal economic problems as this family has, we at least hopefully have some food stored, fresh eggs, an idea of how to survive, and enough bullets to poach dinner if necessary. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail your post was great. You had a perfect response. Such a sad situation. The OP had and interesting final post. Sounds like another neighbor stepped up to the plate. With a disabled parent and a handicapped child CPS should be able to help.

We can only wish them the best.

gina

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Reading about that family, makes me very grateful for what we have, and realize just how fortunate we have been. I hope everything works out for them and they can remain a family.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the op mentioned the wife "couldn't walk"? or something like that

that family seemed in alot of trouble from the start and it isn't just about saving chickens and not the people lucky someone called the OP to save a chicken and it was discovered the people were desperate to the max

if ya got no feed, let the chickens loose on the farm or give them away
no matter the circumstances, no reason to pen and starve those animals while your mind isn't on those animals during terrible times like this, they should have made some attempt to "do a bit more" then leave them penned and starving

no need for death of anything cause the family is having hard times, but it is wonderful the community stepped up and are helping these people cause they sure need it big time

rough situation all around

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
no matter the circumstances, no reason to pen and starve those animals while your mind isn't on those animals during terrible times like this, they should have made some attempt to "do a bit more" then leave them penned and starving
I absolutely agree with you there! my "do a bit more" would have been to turn them loose, and cook one a day.

My husband wants to ask that family why didn't they collect the eggs the chickens were laying and eat them?? We're kind of confused about that.

We don't have much where we're at, but waking up this morning in a bed that I own, knowing I have food in my cupboards, and knowing that I'm not forced to choose between selling my home to feed my kids and not having a home - well, I'm truly blessed!

There's a saying that goes something like, "no matter how bad you have it, someone has it worse."

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly, that was a sad story. :(

Not only do these folks need help but someone needs to befriend them and follow up on their progress. If they continue to live where they do now in their next trailer, someone could teach them how to grow some food, help them put in a garden, teach them what chicken breeds are good for laying and for eating~then help them build coops, give them some hens, check their progress. They could help them put in a square foot garden plot, so it wouldn't be so labor intensive...dad sounds like he has a lot on his hands.

Wish they lived closer to me.... :(

That baby sounds like its still of an age to receive WIC and they could receive food stamps. Someone just needs to tuck this family under their wing and help them, if indeed they want the help.