This might be a little OT but not completly

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know you all cook so I am hoping someone can help me. I am having an issue with my electric stove- the main front burner will heat all the way up sporadically. I can be just barelly simmering somthing and it will be boiling in a minute. It is not the burner because I put my heavy duty canning burner in and it did the same thing. Has anyone had this happen to them? Did you get it fixed or get a different stove? How much does it cost to get fixed? I have adapted to cooking on the back burners but planning ahead for this summer- my canner. I can't can on the back burner. Help?!

My Stove was bought 5 years ago in July for a wedding present. It is a Whirlpool, but the warranty only was for a year.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sounds like it might have some sort of thermostat going haywire... maybe it's something easy like that (I've never had that issue but maybe you could get the part cheap swap it out and see if that fixes it?)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You might give a Whirlpool dealer a call, see if they have any advice. Or the company should also have a hotline. Even if you don't have a warranty anymore they might be able to give you an idea of what your next step should be. Good luck!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sounds like a short in the wire to that burner. I have had stoves do that and it is a royal PAIN. I'd call a repair man, it shouldn't be much to it. Google the model of your stove and check some consumer reports about issues with your model to see if that version of Whirlpool stove has had many issues with burners going out, and go from there. A lot of times, folks will add what they did to fix it if it's a major issue with that model, and it may be something you can do yourself. It's worth a shot.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I'd pull the burner out. Usually 2 small screws where it plugs in. Be sure to cut the breaker. Take it to an appliance part store and see if it has a short in it. Shouldn't cost more than 30.00. They should be able to put an ohm meter on it. Might have a spot burning out. An appliance repairman will charge you 75.00 for the house call. That's if you live in his service radius.

You could also swap it out with one of the other elements to see if it works with the different element. Then you would know the element needs replacing. If you decide to go to the appliance parts store be sure to get make/model and serial number as well as model number if you can find it. Look on the back. Should be there. Be sure to kill the breaker or unplug it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
That happened to my parents' old stove. The first time, they got it fixed, honestly I have no recollection how; then about 5 yrs later it recurred and they ended up replacing the stove.

That's not necessarily real helpful to you :p but seems to indicate that at least *sometimes* it can be fixed. Unfortunately that was probably 15 years ago and they are in their mid eighties so there is no point in my even asking them what the fix was, sorry.

Good luck,

Pat