this place is worthless for my needs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tractor supply for three 50 pound bags of dog food, that lasts a month and a half.

Walmart for various items that I always seem to need.

Grocery store for a package of T-bone steaks on sale, sweet potatoes, frozen OJ, store bought pie crusts became I really really wanted pumpkin pie and didn’t want to take the time to make my own crusts-and made a total failure-forgot to add the sugar. Oops.

Feed store once a month

Going to therapy twice a week puts me in town. That gets me in trouble. LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I get tricked into shopping because of discount grocery stores. And I'm in a neighboring town 3x/week... which is halfway to the nearest sizable city and "as long as I'm already halfway there..." and I'm in the nearest town 3-5 days peper week too.

I might be a stay at home mom by title, but I'm not home very much. 😬 I'm gone probably 30 hours/week volunteering, training/walking my dogs, shopping/errands, or going to the gym.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya know, I'm not a huge turkey eater BUT I keep wanting to buy and raise them! :idunno :thits a feeling of providing my own food, I guess. I have extra chickens......

Can't rationalize any of it better. The drive to produce.:hu🤣

I only want a trio and have a perfect place for them. I'd sell most of the poults. Just keep a few for butcher. Maybe when/IF :rolleyes: I ever quit work and "retire".
If you keep feeling “drawn” to turkey raising, I think you should go for it! Especially if you have a good place to house them.

Turkeys are really cool. Sometimes I like them better than chickens. I have found that most years, hatching and selling the poults is profitable. Even if they don’t sell right away, I just raise the price accordingly for as long as I am feeding them, and eventually they all sell. And for good money, too.

I always say I am going to process one for thanksgiving and see if we like home grown turkey better than store turkey (we don’t care much for the flavor of commercial turkey). But so far I just haven’t felt like having a processing day, and it’s super easy to sell turkeys in November. So I have sold every one that I was thinking of eating.

I have one now named Soup. I think as soon as he gobbles, I’m going to force myself to do the deed. :gig

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you keep feeling “drawn” to turkey raising, I think you should go for it! Especially if you have a good place to house them.

Turkeys are really cool. Sometimes I like them better than chickens. I have found that most years, hatching and selling the poults is profitable. Even if they don’t sell right away, I just raise the price accordingly for as long as I am feeding them, and eventually they all sell. And for good money, too.

I always say I am going to process one for thanksgiving and see if we like home grown turkey better than store turkey (we don’t care much for the flavor of commercial turkey). But so far I just haven’t felt like having a processing day, and it’s super easy to sell turkeys in November. So I have sold every one that I was thinking of eating.

I have one now named Soup. I think as soon as he gobbles, I’m going to force myself to do the deed. :gig
I sell day old poults for more than what I paid for a store bought turkey.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks @Finnie ! I just might this spring reconsider -- after kidding is over. 😁😵‍💫 That's a busy time.

Do you incubate or let hens hatch? I've read they'll clutch 20,+/- on average.
I have let a hen set a couple of times. They did ok. Mostly I just take all the eggs and incubate them. For me it depends on if I have a good/safe spot I can let them set on. Which varies year to year according to how I have arranged whatever birds I have.

This year I let one set, and I gave her some goose eggs in addition to her turkey eggs. Two goslings hatched but she stepped on one, so I took the other one away from her. In fact I took all but 3 of the poults away from her too and she did fine with those 3. (I had a buyer lined up for her, but I told him I wanted to give her a week or two with her babies before I yanked them and sold her.)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk what kind are those lovely light grey ones? Very pretty. Do you have issues with their flying off? How about wild coming in? We have a lot of wild ones here!! Like 30 or so together....

I see $12-15 per day olds all the time and sell fast. Makes it worth a bator full. 😁

Latest posts