this place is worthless for my needs

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You were fortunate to buy a farm with useable, stable buildings AND established hay fields. They are a find. In my area, something that large would be "developer fodder", sadly. Good start on herd. Decision on wild bull, definitely the right one!! Enjoy a steak for me. 😁👍

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s a smart thing to start out with mixed breed or unregistered animals. They are valuable in the things they teach you. As you said, this gets you started and you can up grade as you go. Good move on the wild bull. Dinner he is!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We just picked up a yearling belted galloway red bull calf, the ladies in my life named him Romeo. So far, he's very well mannored and mellow. I would like to halter train him, but I know I don't have the time to dedicate to doing this. We are going to give him a try and see what happens. If he doesn't continue to stay well mannored, he'll go to the processor for meat.

Romeo is in the foreground.
IMG_20221202_144228919~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He was born and raised on this 240 acre farm so neither he nor I had to purchase it, and it has not been available/for sale to any prospective developers or anyone else since his father bought and developed the land for farming in the 1950s. And I have the money from my Michigan property sale, as well as various home/farm businesses both he and I have so we're pretty well set up for life now it seems, though obviously up to us to do the work of continuing to make this possible and we're neither rich nor poor. It's completely, almost unbelievably perfect. :)
Whoa.....now THAT is a story! :old :love:hu

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, and I know I totally lucked out on finding this place!! Actually I didn't find a place so much as a person into the same lifestyle as I who already had this place! Super lucky especially since he's an all-around awesome guy with whom I have very much in common besides this lifestyle.

How it happened was I lived in Michigan, and several other states before that, was a long-term basically lost wanderer with a goal I couldn't achieve on my own, long wanting this lifestyle but lacked the land and resources to buy such, plus had no large livestock experience, just knew about poultry and everything I knew about cattle, pigs, sheep, etc. was from YouTube homesteading videos.

Original plan was to find, through dating sites since it definitely was not happening in Michigan, a man with similar goals who either had or wanted to buy enough land for this kind of life, in Montana or Idaho, or maybe Wyoming or Dakotas. Then property prices went crazy, I was also looking for land/farm to buy on my own with my property in Michigan I could sell plus savings in case I did not find the man of my dreams, and I realized that due to property price insanity I could no longer afford any suitable place in MT/ID and Minnesota then became the destination of choice since it was still affordable for me. So I simply changed my dating site location and preferences to Minnesota, and almost immediately found this man of my dreams.

He was born and raised on this 240 acre farm so neither he nor I had to purchase it, and it has not been available/for sale to any prospective developers or anyone else since his father bought and developed the land for farming in the 1950s. And I have the money from my Michigan property sale, as well as various home/farm businesses both he and I have so we're pretty well set up for life now it seems, though obviously up to us to do the work of continuing to make this possible and we're neither rich nor poor. It's completely, almost unbelievably perfect. :)
I love a happy story. It’s not a happy ending, it’s a happy beginning.