This Should be a BYC ? But....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I know I should probably post on BYC but we all know how fast that moves and what happens.....So
I am quite puzzled and need input. Night before last something killed a cornish bantum hen. Ate everything but 1 foot, the head and the feathers. Last night I closed the pop door but there was a crack about an inch that was left open at the bottom. Today I found a half grown chick dead, head, back, gizzard and both feed were all that remained and I have one whole half grown chick missing completely. This house is a tin A-frame. The floor is wood with 1/4 inch wire at the walls for ventilation. The run is 1" chicken wire doubled from bottom to half way up the 5' wire height, with 4x4's all the way around the outside staked to the ground. There is netting completely covering the run and half the house. All zip tied to the chicken wire. There are a few holes in the top of this netting from age but nothing major. The vulnerable point is the netting at the door to the run.
First dead chicken we thought, owl, possum or the black domestic cat that roams our neighborhood. Last night there was no way it was any of those things. A rat is the only thing that could have fit through that crack under the pop door. Would a rat do this? Any ideas out there. Remember, this is the equivlant of Chicken Alcatraz. I guess there is the slight possibility that a very small young possum could have but I just don't really think so.
Dazed and confused here.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Never saw one in this area but that does not mean they are not around. Do weasels climb? The only way we can figure whatever got in was over the top of the gate into the run where I can't zip tie the netting to anything.

This is driving me crazy.

Edited to add: Did quick research. Apparently weasels do live in my area. Plus there has been a lot of construction in a major wooded area on the other side of the highway. So maybe it is a weasel that was run out of his home from there. I have a trap set with cooked meat as bait but going to change that shortly to raw meat now that I have a suspect. I don't want to kill the thing if I don't have to, he or she was probably happy as a little lark where it was living and would have never bothered me. But will do what I have to do. If anything happens tonight I will buy a baby monitor tomorrow.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would have to say Weasle or Mink. COULD be the cat. Have you ever seen the video of a cat crawling under a door? They only need about 2 inches or so. Im so sorry for your losses, and hope you get whatever it is, soon!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks, Debbie. I haven't seen that video. Will have to go find it and check it out.

Funny thing is, that my big chickens are in a coop that most anything could get into rather easily. Nothing bothers them. Could be that mean Rooster that lives there though. LOL He will attack anything.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Edited to add: Did quick research. Apparently weasels do live in my area.
We have weasels??? :ep :barnie

Just what I need, another predator to worry about. As if the raccoons, skunks, bobcats, dogs, cats, hawks, owls and construction workers weren't enough...

So sorry about your chickens!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oh man!

Sorry to hear this. Weasels are going to be really hard to protect against. They are smart, can fit in the smallest crack, and are pretty vicious.

I had to build an entire aviary because of hawks. A hawk got 2 of my ducks. I guess I was lucky that it took almost a year for the hawks to find me :p

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Well, the good news is no loss last night. I stacked sticks and twigs over the gate and on top of the netting. None of the sticks were disturbed. We will see if I get lucky tonight too.
Its just such a stange thing. But never had a predator problem in almost 2 years so guess I can't complain to much.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Put a bit of tuna or other fish as bait in the trap for the weasel...oh and the trap better be small if it's a live trap...like for a chipmunk. Or it'll get away

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks Morel - I have the smallest live trap available. I guess if whatever trips the trap and is gone we will know its a weasel.

Thanks for the mental image of me outside trying to catch a chipmunk. Yes I am sitting here grinning and trying to decide if I need to take the bird shot out of the 410 and load it with Chipmunk shot. LOL