Thought I'd pass this beek tip: Queen Anne's Lace for ants

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This past Saturday was our Ashtabula County (OH) Beekeepers Association meeting.

One of our members, who has been a beek for over 45 years, gave a great tip: plant Queen Annes Lace and peppermint around the bee hives. Then take cuttings of the Queen Annes Lace flowers and place them on the inside top cover to keep ants out of the hives.

BlueMountain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Howdy, new here and this is my first post. Just wanted to share a couple of more herbs good to get rid of ants. Rue and Rosemary. Back in the day they were used as "strewing herbs" in castles and such for their anti bug properties. My own experience is that they are great to grow where you don't want ants and even better in the kitchen and pantry to cut bundles of them and lay them around to get rid of ants. They also do a credible job of replacing moth balls for stored woolens. For this lavender is also good. (Been researching herbal lore for medical and other properties in order to expand my herb garden).

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks, Keljonma! I missed this the first time around and had quite a carpenter ant infestation when I last opened up one of my topbars. I killed 3 queens (at least that what my husband thinks they were) and haven't had much problem since. If I do again, I will try this lying on top of the topbars!

Bluemountain--Do you have any excellent book recommendations for herbs and lore?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
BlueMountain :welcome

Sounds like you need to start a journal and make long list of what you have learned.