Thoughts on incubators versus broodies

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think an incubator is more convenient and at times, more reliable. For me, I have had good hatches in the incubator most of the time, depending on the eggs. My broody hens,..not so much. I have one gal that goes broody very often and she has always been a good momma,..but this year she just got up and walked off and never looked back. The eggs were fine, the chicks were developing,..I guess she just changed her mind. I have had ducks do the same thing. The hatch rate has been better using my incubator too, and yes it is just a cheap styrofoam bater. I honestly think,..some people just have the "knack" for it,..while others don't. I have a friend who has hatched eggs out in a bucket setting beside a fireplace,...now SHE has a "knack" for hatching,..lol! I would never have any luck doing such thing. Oh, and I also found the less you fuss and worry over them,...the better hatch you will get. ;)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Broodies! Make those worthless chickens that are broody and don't lay worth something :) I have two hens who I'm building a broody run for, and setting eggs underneath. Selling the chicks. Why not? (And I don't have a rooster btw, illegal here.)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
At this rate, I'd say I prefer incubators. The thing I love about broodies though is that they raise them and I don't have to fool with the chicks. I only have 1 decent broody, Wanda. She's a good momma and will do fine hatching chicks.

In my journal, I just posted the drama of 2 hens of mine that tried to go broody. One died at the end, probably wasted away and wouldnt' eat or drink. The other tried to kill the hatching eggs (and succeded in killing 2 chicks). :rolleyes:

For me, I think incubators are more reliable unless Wanda is the broody.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd just about pay to have a broody right now. I have 3 different sets of chicks and didn't plan on having mud soup in place of ground for the last month. Unfortunately the only broody I've gotten in the last 3 years was a Brahma who decided the middle of July in 100 degree heat was an opportune time to hatch. And we had no rooster :rolleyes: So it's day old chicks or incubating eggs for us if we want to have hens that start laying when we need them to.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
For tameness of the babies, I say incubator. For low maintenance, a broodie.

Babies raised by a broodie are going to be totally flock bonded and are hard to get them to warm up to people.

My incubator ducks are so friendly they are pests :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I prefer to incubate if I want to get a decent hatch. You have to be careful that you calibrate your thermometer and your hygrometer before you start, and it might depend upon your incubator too . . . but I have had excellent results with a homemade incubator and also with a purchased incubator.

Broody ducks are very unreliable in my experience, although sometimes they can surprise you. I'm going to guess that broody chickens are more reliable, but I never took the time to supervise the only chicken I let go broody . . . with understandably bad results.