Threads with religious themes

Status
Not open for further replies.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need a history lesson or a link to a past thread.

Why are there threads with religious topics? Makes me anxious. There are lots of outlets for religious expression, so I don't see why to include it here.

How do I look up moderators? I would have sent this as a PM to a mod, but I don't know who they are. Is there a list?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, they are cleary labeled, and you don't have to open them, so they have no reason to make you anxiuos, really :) Let's just call them 'options' if you will LOL! There are threads here I choose not to open, but they don't offend me. I just choose to ignore them. No big deal. Over on BYC there are threads about "house chickens" and trust me...i don't even want to KNOW what people are thinking to have chickens in the house...so I leave those for others to enjoy. There are all kinds of people in the world, and if we worried about what everyone else was doing, thinking, or being, we would bring alot of unwanted trouble on ourselves. So enjoy the parts of this forum that you like, to the fullest, and don't worry about the rest!

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Well, they are cleary labeled, and you don't have to open them, so they have no reason to make you anxiuos, really :) Let's just call them 'options' if you will LOL! There are threads here I choose not to open, but they don't offend me. I just choose to ignore them. No big deal. Over on BYC there are threads about "house chickens" and trust me...i don't even want to KNOW what people are thingking to have chickens in the house...so i leave those for others to enjoy. There are all kinds of people in the world, and if we worried about what everyone else was doing, thinking, or being, we would bring alot of unwanted trouble on ourselves. So enjoy the parts you will to the fullest, and don't worry about the rest!
What she said ... This country was founded on the belief that everyone should be able to worship how they wish and one of the fundamental cores of the country was "free speech". To truly be an American is to be able to allow people to live their lives as they wish... You make a choice each time you click on a thread and open it. If it is clearly marked as something that would upset or worry or offend you, simply make the choice to allow to each their own and don't open the thread.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you just need to hit the *report* button to contact a mod. ... but why would you want to? Both threads are being very civilly managed by those that are participating, and, as Morelcabin says, there is no need for you to open the threads if they are problematic for you. Personally, I am not a follower of either belief, but I find both threads to be very informative ... and learning new things, and different viewpoints, is very important to me. Perhaps you might say that they have nothing to do with self sufficiency, but I must disagree ... I think that how we come to terms with our place in this life, and for many this would include one's connection to one's deity, is very important for how we deal with Real Life.

If you don't agree, that's fine. But rather than try to close a couple of threads that are doing you no harm, and may be doing others a lot of good, it might be better to just learn not to read that which you disagree with.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you want to contact any mod just hit report on a post - if it's a rule violation you should report the offending post - if it's a general question then hit report on one of your own posts.

If you want to contact a specific mod then go to the index and scroll down about 3/4 of the way and click on Moderators and it'll bring up a list.

All members should remember that this is an international forum and not restricted to America.

There are a lot of topics on SS and not every topic is right for every member. Threads should be labeled clearly as to what they are so that members who do not wish to see or discuss said topic can avoid them. If you do not wish to see / discuss a certain topic then just do not click on it.

Of course all members are welcome to contact any member of staff to make suggestions, comments or concerns at any time.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To be clear, I'm not offended. I'm just confused.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't worry, k15, I felt the urge earlier to start a thread called "Everyone ELSE'S Beliefs" (I managed to refrain). Frankly and honestly, religion is a good way to get people offended fast, and a lot of trouble starts with it. I ignore those threads to the best of my ability (I am human, after all.) But if it were me, I'd just keep it SS oriented. As you said, there are plenty of other outlets for it, why do we need it here? mod edit, comment removed

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Bible Study thread has been here for a very long time now with no issues, why now?
The Pagan Circle was started for folks with that belief system and there are Christians chiming in with curiosity and respect. So what's the issue? Don't read them they are clearly marked and there are dozens of other places on this forum for any and every other SS thing you want to discuss.

ETA - since this is a privately owned forum it doesn't fall under the "Free speech" rights.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For some people, self-sufficiency is connected with their spiritual/religious path. Rather than bringing it up in other threads, confining it to threads where it's clearly labelled seems a reasonable compromise between not shoving it in people's faces and not discussing it at all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And because there isn't a Backyard Religion sister site yet..... :D

Ya never know..... it could happen! ;)

A person's basic moral code and spirituality is an important part of how they think, their lifestyle, their health, even. This forum is unique in the fact that it isn't specific to animals....it encompasses every aspect of our lives and that includes religion for some, for some it does not.

Ignoring that and hoping it goes away is one way of dealing with it~ meeting it head on and getting past the problem of our group being multicultural, multigenerational, multispiritual is just part of our independent, self-reliant spirit here on the SS forum. It's not for everyone and neither is the lifestyle....those who can deal with it stick around awhile. Those who cannot simply fade away.

We like to support each other in all our endeavors and form groups of people who like the same things in order to accomplish that....cheese making, home schooling,frugalism,etc. We ain't diaperin' chickens here, as someone mentioned before....we are forming a community.

Nifty has been kind enough to indulge us in this effort by allowing religious threads as long as they are not causing problems. We'd like everyone to earn that trust by respecting boundaries and not deliberately challenging or attempting to undermine those threads and the people participating in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.