thunder storms in November??

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dont know anymore. Used to be able to count on weather to a certain extent, now you cant.
We have been getting thunderstorms in January and February, Now that is weird.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Thunderstorms can happen year round. They are more frequent during the summer months, but anytime you get two air masses (warm and cold) colliding you can have them. Usually in the winter, you do not have the warm air mass to generate the lift, so you don't get as many thunderstorms.

A few years ago we had a thunderstorm during February, that produced one of our heaviest snows.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
There's always been winter thunderstorms, I have no idea whether they're any more common at the moment than at any other particular moments in history but I doubt it's much of a difference, I don't see one anyhow.

I bought my first horse (in 1992) in southwestern OH in mid February, amid a *gigantic* thunderstorm, preceded by fog you could barely drive through (transl.: really I should have stayed home, the roads weren't safe) and accompanied by some of the most constant lightning I've seen, and torrential flooding rains.

Pat

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandmother used to say for every thunderstorm there was in February, there would be a frost in October. I've never challenged this. :)

But for a person who likes to play in the rain (yes, still) I've always lamented that every time is rains it's either too cold, or there's too much lightning to enjoy it. LOL

Cassandra

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
There's always been winter thunderstorms, I have no idea whether they're any more common at the moment than at any other particular moments in history but I doubt it's much of a difference, I don't see one anyhow.

I bought my first horse (in 1992) in southwestern OH in mid February, amid a *gigantic* thunderstorm, preceded by fog you could barely drive through (transl.: really I should have stayed home, the roads weren't safe) and accompanied by some of the most constant lightning I've seen, and torrential flooding rains.

Pat
Lol, sounds like you should've stayed home. I suppose there always have been, maybe I just wasn't thinking straight this morning. I don't think they are as common as in the spring. But it is still thundering out.--I jsut thought it was a bit odd.

But is was a good day to clean out some closets.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well I'm glad I didn't stay home that day in 1992, as he turned out to be an EXCELLENT horse (especially excellent since I paid a whopping $800 for him) :), even though he dropped dead of an aneurysm three years later <sniff>

We had hail last week, same day that ScottyG was posting about having hail in Michigan.

Right now it is just foggy and fairly warm here (like maybe 10C? I'm guessing), we had about 1/3" of rain overnight but no storms that I know of.

I am SO not looking forward to winter. About three weeks of it is fine, and after that, I'm like "are the crocuses up yet?" :p

Pat

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I mean, honestly... why can't it just be 68 all the time. I don't think that's too much to ask. :p

Cassandra

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We had wicked thunderstorms during the Blizzard of '78, along with three feet of snow - they really think that was an out of season hurricane. So yes, thunderstorms happen all year round.

Latest posts