Ticked off cause.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I turned on the heat this morning! :lol:

anyone else throwing on a bit of heat in the morning yet?

heck I am NC. I don't want heat on just yet....but truly the house was super BBBrrrr. Like 38 outside.

seems I get so cold in the 'changeover' time....when that first chill comes my body is rejecting it :gig

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:lol: Yep, know exactly what you mean. Mississippi is having its first cool spell. I actually had frost yesterday - and the heat has been on for 3 nights and 2 days now. I actually had to dig out a jacket yesterday. Day before a sweater was enough. I think I have a couple of more days of this and then back to our normal weather. Oh wait - this is our normal weather. :lol:

Like you that first cool snap always gets to me. But in a day or two it will be back up in the 80's and I will thaw out and complain about the heat this time of year. :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since we heat with Propane, I have yet to turn on the furnace...however....I have had the wood stove going for a while now. LOL Burning last years leftover wood...not the good stuff, yet.

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I turned the heat on technically; however, I set it at 56 ... Seems my hot flashes are working and since I'm comfortable with the heat generated by them, my SO and his son can wear sweatshirts :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea 2dream I hear you.
this is the 'mornings are freezing, by afternoon I am thinking of turning on the AC'

hey Just
what are your propane prices like this year?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea 2dream I hear you.
this is the 'mornings are freezing, by afternoon I am thinking of turning on the AC'

hey Just
Im not sure what they are running this year. Since we used the wood stove so much last year, we don't need to get propane this year. :ya I know my neighbor just ordered 150 gal......and paid almost $600!!!!!! I am sure mostly because she didn't get a fill....they charge more for less. STILL seems sorta high tho. I am going to call them Monday, and see what the prices are...we might just go ahead and top off the tank...even tho we are at 65% still.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
FarmerChick said:
yea 2dream I hear you.

hey Just
Im not sure what they are running this year. Since we used the wood stove so much last year, we don't need to get propane this year. :ya I know my neighbor just ordered 150 gal......and paid almost $600!!!!!! I am sure mostly because she didn't get a fill....they charge more for less. STILL seems sorta high tho. I am going to call them Monday, and see what the prices are...we might just go ahead and top off the tank...even tho we are at 65% still.
Here in NC propane started October at $3 /gallon and jumped $0.15 every week since then!I had them come fill my tank the first week of September ( while it was still hot here) and paid "only"$2.42. The local manager is new to this location and over ordered because the area USED to use a lot of propane in the tobbaco barns (dead crop due to hail and wind damage this year) on top of the fact that there is no money to be made since they are now buying in South America. His Railroad Tankcar rents were eating him up so he started calling customers that had larger tanks and offered it at his price. Of course he is now selling out of his tanks at replacement cost plus his mark-up so he will make a tidy little profit off his tanks. He says price will soar.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The furnace has been on for a little over a week now, because we are well into freezing nights.

Daytimes are still very nice, nowhere near needing the AC (which is part of our furnace system), but sunny and "jacket optional" in the afternoons.

We are on an "equal payment" plan with our natural gas company, so our bill is the same year-round--$130/month.

(I should add that our gas bill includes our heat/AC and hot water).

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Fired up the wood stove the other day. We have a frost warning for tonight then a few days of nice weather.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
The wood stove has been going for 2 days now :) When it dropped to 60 in the house with no warm days and frosty nights, it was time to get it going!