Time for tea! The herbal teas, homegrown and wildcrafted....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We've talked about this before, now that things are growing, let's talk about it again.

Tea. For enjoyment and for health and for medicine. What is your knowledge and experience with this? What do you like and dislike?

Come experiment with me!

It is amazing how much I've accomplished since deciding to make a tea garden way back in January. For anyone who has not done this, there are things that can be picked from the wild and dried now. Get those red clover blossoms picked and dried before the powdery mildew starts up soon. Get some plantain in the dehydrator. Scout out some burdock plants to dig up roots after the first frost this fall. And some sassafras, too, needs to be marked so the fall roots can be dug. Comfrey is abundant, and the large, mature leaves are what you want. St John's Wort is blooming, so I am on the lookout here for some growing wild.

I started this project with a gift for my mother in mind, but now I am learning about the wellness benefits of herbal infusions. Look for video's by herbalist Susun Weed (yup, her real name!) on youtube.com. They are fantastic. Susun is a hoot-and-a-half! And there are some good ones on harvesting herbs there, too, through herbmentor.com.

I have red clover blossoms in the dehydrator now, and am eyeing another cutting from my comfrey. I have to start the oats again, some vermin ate every last oat I planted!!! Grrr! I may have to start those in pots in the house. Since they don't need to mature fully, there is still plenty of time.

Speaking of thyme.....

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a quart of red clover blossoms, a quart of mullein, a couple gallon of wild oats, a quart of blackberry leaves, and a gallon of nettle, all dehydrated and ready to go. I plan on adding more mullein.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
So far I have a quart of wild Self Heal (Prunella vulgaris) that I have dried. I enjoy the taste and will continue to harvest as they flower.

I have been drying spearmint, peppermint and chocolate mint like crazy because late last winter I got the first cold in 20 years and wished that I had a variety to tweak the blend as needed.

Today I've been picking Beebalm, Oswego Tea(Monarda didyma and fistulosa) to dry.

Our red clover hasn't gotten into full swing yet.

Loads of German Chamomile done, but if it wants to keep producing flowers I will gladly dry more.

Not sure if they will be good but I have been drying red Knock Out rose buds.

I have wild Evening Primrose-has anyone dried and used this for tea?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Uh, I like Lipton teas?

:hide
:lol: I like Red Rose black tea and Salada decaf......but I like to add a little flavor of my own making to them.....yum!

Great link, nerdskilz! I mean, WZ!

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grow Lemon Blam for tea, it is also called Melissa. Very Calming.

I also drink chai tea.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
O.k you guys,

Would y'all mind if when you say what kind of tea you are going to make you also add the health (specifc) benefits. It would sure help the uneducated reader of the thread...and YES that would be me!!! :gig