tiny house for $362

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ooh I could not do it. NO shower? Ugh. No toilet? Not this chick.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I had friends who lived in vaguely comparable quarters (in terms of size and lack-of-conveniences) back in grad school, it was not considered particularly remarkable.

I think that now that I am more middle-aged I would really prefer proper indoor plumbing, at least :p

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea I sure agree
there is way comfort with indoor plumbing! :p
that has got to be one of the greatest accomplishments of mankind, indoor plumbing LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
that has got to be one of the greatest accomplishments of mankind, indoor plumbing LOL
Well... *sanitary* indoor plumbing, *specifically*.

As opposed to the kind where the w.c. lets out into your basement, or your neighbor's basement, or the gutter alongside the street in front of your house. Which has certainly been pretty common in many places in the past ;)

Also hot running water.

In fact if I had to choose between hot running water and a household toilet, I might pick the former.

Pat

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
there is a part of me that would really like to do this
as I type I am reminded that my big family wouldn't even fit in there...I guess one kid could sleep standing up in the shower,lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL yea that indoor plumbing better be working correctly
or WHEW :p

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
and then of course is the washer and dryer..must haves. Central air is really nice to have; I guess I could live without a dishwasher and garbage disposal. :)

and space..for my stuff. :)

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That is so cool.I've always loved a little cozy place.I would have to have indoor running water.It could be heated on that excellent cook stove.A chamber pot is not going to cut it either.:rolleyes:A modern toliet will work on gravity flow,would have to add that.We're building a 30 x 60 log home with a 2/3 loft and now I'm starting to wondering why we built it so big.:th

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
paul wheaton said:
This tiny house is occupied by a couple and their cats. This piece of property came with a shack that could have been ... who knows what. A storage shed? Whatever it was, it was uninhabitable. It was nothing close to air tight.

Here is a rundown of where $362 comes from:

$10 - front door
$60 - fabric to hold in wool insulation
$120 - 400 pounds of wool in roof and door (it's nine inches thick in the middle of the poofy part)
$27 - three straw bales for wall insulation (clay/soil was free)
$60 - wood (the rest was milled on site from trees we've fallen or salvaged from the site's existing buildings or the cabin itself)
$85 - large window, the rest were free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOIifnYM7DQ

Please share with your favorite mailing list or facebook. thanks!
I've been giving this one a lot of thought and am convinced that the investment of $362 is in no way capable of creating a home (even one like this). The cost of building a shed like this one without the amenities of the inside alone is greater than $362.
You account for the renovation with that cost but the lumber alone just to get this standing is much greater.

Your accounting for the renovation materials included "free wood" which was milled on site (Norwalk or Alaskan mill)? and a lot of sweat equity.

So, if you actually look at this, you'll see that this is NOT possible in the 21st century on $362. If you had to build the shed and change it to be livable, it would cost appreciably more. On whose land is it?

Yeah, I know...I'm skeptical, but I built a small barn with locally milled wood and it cost a lot more than I expected. The only work I had contracted was the electrical wiring because I was at sea when it needed to be done. The rest I did all by my self with an occasional day of labor by one of the local teen agers.

I appreciate ingenuity as much as the next guy, but $362 is really misleading for this very nice little cottage.

YMMV
//BT//
Trim sends