Tips on Long Term Storage of Brown Sugar & Powdered Sugar

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A few days ago we purchased large bags of brown Sugar and powdered Sugar from Sams.
was wondering how I store it to keep it good for long term use..
thank you

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Powdered sugar lasts FOREVER. I found a bag that was about 6 years old in my SO's pantry when I moved in. Made delicious frosting for DS's birthday cake!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I would vacuum seal it myself, and in fact that is what I have done. Brown sugar can become a rock in no time. My nephew works at a condiment packaging place and he gave me 50 pounds of brown sugar that had been in moisture. I was able to salvage half of it, and I quickly vacuum sealed it. Seems to be holding up.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use 5 gallon plastic buckets lined with mylar bags that you seal with your iron. I opened one that had been stored for almost 2 years, tasted great and was not clumpy etc. Oh I also use the oxygen absorbers if I have them on hand to suck out the remaining air after sealing them. If you have food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth) I add that to the bottom of the bucket before adding the mylar bag as a just in case for bugs.
If you have a vacuum sealer that would be just as good, I would still throw them in a bucket.

** I always freeze flours, sugars for a week before storing them just to make sure the bug eggs are killed off and you do not open up your storage to moths and worms :sick

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you... Where do you get the maylar bags and the oxygen exorbers...
I have a vacum thingy that seals heavy plastic bags ( when it deicides to work) LOL..

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got mine from emergency essentials on sale, but I am sure they are available at a lot of food storage sites.
That is why I went to those bags, my old vacuum sealer was hit or miss.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you.. I already order from them. some how I've missed the maylar bags.. will go back and look for them..

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
When brown sugar gets rock hard you can make it fresh and new again by putting a peice of bread in there with it for a few hours. I have had brown sugar that was over a year old fresh and soft again by doing this trick.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a stone (a bear actually) that you soak for a while and then toss into the brown sugar bag to keep it from getting hard. It works well for keeping bread from becoming rock hard here in Colorado too.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket I cleaned out yesterday and left out side to dry.. it originally had pickles in it from a BQ place.. I purchased big maylar bags for buckets last month and oxyegen obsorbers.
I want to transfer my sugar that I have in the cabinet into it.. Do I need to seal the maylar since it is going in 5 gallon bucket and how do I do it.. I think I have at least 40 lbs.
I will put a gamma seal lid on the bucket