Tired of this healthcare debate- or what I would do

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If Obama's plan or any other plan includes "free" care like our veterans receive from the V.A., count me against it. I watched as my dad had terrible back pain for a year and the V.A. did nothing but make him a morphine addict. Come to find out that the pain was being caused by carcinogenic cancer in his pancreas and liver. It was a slow moving cancer that took another year to kill him. If they would have done a simple blood test in the beginning, he might still be here and healthy.
I wasn't feeling good last year, went to my personal doctor, the first thing they did was a blood test which included checking for cancer. Again, if any health plan includes "care" like my dad received, count me out!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
okiegirl- that is so hard yet it would not be the first time I have seen that situation. That's why "my plan" includes all minor children having health care- but you right about the sliding scale- that would be a good idea. :hugs

Once a person is 18, they are considered their own household and, even if living in the parent's house, their own income is what is counted.

Reaction score
I wasn't talking about my family with fast food. My DW makes a delicious dinner every night. We do have a large family though. My wife came from a large family and learned her cooking from her DM. The only difference is my DW doesn't overcook everything like her DM. Shoe leather pot roast and twice cooked chicken come to mind. I was referring to myself at lunchtime. Unlike some people, I don't consider fried hamburger patties to be healthy. I don't want to pay 4.95 for a grilled chicken sandwich and eat just the dry piece of chicken. I don't want a piece of fried chicken without the skin but with the fryer grease dripping out. I'm not worried about carbs in acceptable portions. Bread is ok if the fiber is high enough, say 3 grams per slice. Fruit is good for you if you don't get carried away. Pretty much all processed foods are bad. So I still contend that finding fast healthy food is difficult.

You can't legislate healthy food or eating habits. It's going to have to be done through education. Parents have to keep the cookies away from the babies and the candy away from the kids. Halloween needs to be abolished. No soda or candy and snacks sold at school.

Something they could legislate is commercials on TV. They abolished ciggs on commercials.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm not worried about carbs in acceptable portions
That's the problem. people do not realize that carbs ARE sugar. It is no good eating a lot of bread, potatoes, rice, etc... while going all crazy against halloween candy. There isn't that much difference.

Each 50g of carbohydrates regardless of the source is the same as 1/4 cup of sugar. If you eat cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and potatoes with your dinner along with some fruit for dessert, you ate around 2 cups of sugar throughout the day. If you had juice with your breakfast, some chips with your lunch and sugar in your coffee, add another cup.

Your liver and your pancreas can only handle so much sugar at a time. Years of continually overloading your body with sugars leads to insulin resistance, obesity, high blood pressure, arterial damage, and type 2 diabetes.

To me (and a few doctors, and some nutritional researchers) 50g of carbs per day is plenty. Some people can handle more...some less. But if you are already over weight, and have any of the conditions I listed earlier, carbs are not your friend. The moderation boat has already sailed.

As for the chicken...you don't leave off the skin! Since natural fats don't make you fat, cause heart disease, make you diabetic, etc... leaving off the skin is insane!

Shoe leather pot roast and twice cooked chicken come to mind.
I think your wife's mom is related to my grandma :gig