'Tis the season (coming up) ... time to make those ornaments!

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In my journal there was an interest in some of the ornaments I make and I thought it might be good to post them here, in case anybody would be looking to make christmas ornaments for the upcoming holiday season.

1. The applesauce/cinnamon ornaments are my absolute favorite because they smell WONDERFUL!!!! You open up your box of christmas decorations (I store them in a sealable container) and they just smell so christmasy to me!

Here goes:

3/4 cup of applesauce

1 cup of cinnamon

1 tbs of glue.

Mix it together until you get a dough (although it may be a little on the wet side)

I roll it out, using cinnamon if I need to coat the rolling pin ...

Cut out with regular cookie cutters

Make sure you put a hole in them to thread ribbon or string through! I kinda sorta forgot this step the first time, it wasn't pretty when I got them out two hours later, all excited and went *%*@*#(%*

Pop in the oven at 250 for I would say about 1.5 hours, flipping them over at least once. The goal is to dry them out, so there is a bit of "judging" that you have to do depending on thickness, etc.

Let cool, string through ribbon and wah lah ... a simple but wonderfully smelling christmas ornament!

2. I know the link says "halloween", but I used christmas cookie cutters, painted and hang them on the tree. Only limit is your imagination!

http://www.craftbits.com/project/salt-dough-halloween-creatures

3. Don't have a box for a gift card but don't want to just give an envelope for christmas?

http://www.kinderart.com/recycle/cardbox.shtml

Hope this helps or inspires someone who is wondering "what should I do for ... "

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to try these, but I think I might dry them in the dehydrator. Would make the house smell yummy!

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh the house will smell just absolutely heavenly! And THEN the best part, is when they're out on the counter, or hanging on the tree, the smell just wafts through the air, light as a feather, making you just stop and smile when you walk into the room...

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wonder if these would work with molassis instead of glue??..then I could feed them to the horses when I was done with them..LOL

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You don't "have" to put in the glue, it helps keep them longer, you could probably make it without ...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have some of those that are over 20 years old! They don't smell nearly as good now. :D

One year I tied little bundles of dried flowers, baby's breath, seed pods, whatever I could find, with strips of raffia. Some pods I sprayed with gold spray paint. I used long strips of raffia like tinsel. I also made coffee ground clay ornaments with used coffee grounds and flour - they kind of looked like little flat stones. Then I glued on bits of orange peel, broken cinnamon stick, cloves, pine needles, herbs. It was the prettiest tree I remember having.

The kids weren't digging it though. :lol:

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Re posting my herd of sheep! The photos make them self explanatory. Very easy - kids would have fun!

3685_sheep.jpg

3685_sheep_4.jpg

I'll answer any questions.