Tis the Season...

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So any of you guys or gals have been out hunting yet??? I have done alright so far. The seasons are very long and liberal here as long as you can find somewhere to go. I had a slow dove season only going out a couple of times and bagging a few. Went out and got a limit (6) of grey squirrels last week. Yesterday I had the day off so I went and hunted some private land I have permission. I stuck a Doe with the old hoyt. That makes 2 for the season. I stuck one on public land a couple weeks back. That is all I really need for most of the year. I will grind up 1-2 more for burger. After that I give away a lot.

I hope some of you are enjoying the best season of the year... Hunting Season...

Good Luck.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Can't wait for deer season here! I am ready for some venison :drool

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
mississippifarmboy said:
Wannabefree said:
Can't wait for deer season here! I am ready for some venison :drool
There's a season? :hide

:gig
Well it's open season if you hunt with your car like some folks do around here :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Can't wait as well. Since all the menfolk who used to bowhunt for us women are now scattered to the points of the compass, we are hunterless....so we have decided that the Ol' Bat will be gunhunting this year with the old 16 gauge shotgun. She's a pretty good shot and that gun has killed it's fair share of deer as one of my brothers used to use it for that purpose each hunting season. We've never owned a deer rifle hereabouts.

Hoping to put a good bit of deer in the jar, a little in the freezer and quite a bit as jerky. Hope to have bones and fat for the dog and fat for the chickens.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Get after em!!! Ole WV is loaded up with deer. Good Luck.

Beekissed said:
Can't wait as well. Since all the menfolk who used to bowhunt for us women are now scattered to the points of the compass, we are hunterless....so we have decided that the Ol' Bat will be gunhunting this year with the old 16 gauge shotgun. She's a pretty good shot and that gun has killed it's fair share of deer as one of my brothers used to use it for that purpose each hunting season. We've never owned a deer rifle hereabouts.

Hoping to put a good bit of deer in the jar, a little in the freezer and quite a bit as jerky. Hope to have bones and fat for the dog and fat for the chickens.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I learned how to cut up deer last year...first time and I didn't even faint or chuck. My SIL got three (!!) phone calls during the procedure, asking how I was holding up. :lol:

I used the last of the deer meat last week for jerky. I have to say that I'm ready for another one.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I learned how to cut up deer last year...first time and I didn't even faint or chuck. My SIL got three (!!) phone calls during the procedure, asking how I was holding up. :lol:

I used the last of the deer meat last week for jerky. I have to say that I'm ready for another one.
Heck Ya!

I got 3 so far this year and cut them up. I actually enjoy it once you have it all boned out. The next one is going to be 100% jerky and burger.

-Brent

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish!! In this state you have to put in for a draw and if your lucky you get a license. It didn't used to be that way. DWR claims it's to have better management of the deer herd but it's all about the money. It will cost you $10.00 just to put in for the deer hunt and if you don't draw the fee is nonrefundable and it costs $10.00 for each species and sex every year, not just a one time fee. And then there is the cost of the actual license. So many families that used to go hunt have quit due to the fact that it's a money game now. I sure miss good venison.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have already gotten 1 from being on "the hit list" this year. 1st season for shotgun isnt till december. we did get some squirlls though. MAN are they fat this year!!