"To be" or not "to be"

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Forgive me, this has absolutely nothing to do with SS, but it is something I have become curious about, and don't know who else to ask.
I have been noticing for quite some time, mostly on forum posts both here and otherwhere, the increasing lack of "to be".... as in " the house needs (to be) painted". What is this? At first I thought it was just people thinking faster than they were typing - this happens to me a lot. But since it happens so often I wonder if there isn't something else going on. I do not text, or twitter, or anything like that, and wonder if this is a manner of shorthand, known and understood by all the writer's peers? Anybody out there who can satisfy this old Luddite's curiosity?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Forgive me, this has absolutely nothing to do with SS, but it is something I have become curious about, and don't know who else to ask.
I have been noticing for quite some time, mostly on forum posts both here and otherwhere, the increasing lack of "to be".... as in " the house needs (to be) painted". What is this? At first I thought it was just people thinking faster than they were typing - this happens to me a lot. But since it happens so often I wonder if there isn't something else going on. I do not text, or twitter, or anything like that, and wonder if this is a manner of shorthand, known and understood by all the writer's peers? Anybody out there who can satisfy this old Luddite's curiosity?
Do you mean like "The house needs painting" Or "The house needs paint"? To me those are OK English where" the house needs painted" is not. I don't recall seeing much of the last type

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I sometimes slip into an "Eastern Kentucky" vernacular and will say things like "The tomatoes need picked today." Now that you mention it, it does seem like I hear and read that more. Hmmm... I'll have to start paying more attention.

I don't think they make you diagram sentences in school anymore though... just sayin'.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it's because we type the way we talk. We feel casual here, so we write in that manner. Is that what you are asking? Plus there are regional differences in the way people speak.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sometimes when I talk to people here I find myself saying things the way they are spoken in the forum. I tend to sound a bit country! :clap!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
ORChick said:
Do you mean like "The house needs painting" Or "The house needs paint"? To me those are OK English where" the house needs painted" is not. I don't recall seeing much of the last type
No, I mean "the house needs painted". You're right, the other two are perfectly correct. Now that I have pointed it out you may notice it more.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
Probably because that is how people talk in real life.
Really? Where? No one I know does. Is that a regional thing? I have only ever lived on the west coast.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't bother with searching out or "those things" don't hit me much. I have too much on my plate. Now I do have tons of other pet peeves tho that annoy me LOL

Latest posts