To Duck or Not to Duck

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now your making me sad. Say it's cruel to have only one, they are flock animals. I have only one duck, someone dumped it at my father in laws. No idea what kind, just a big white duck.

VERY noisy, follows us everywhere. Can't dig a hole without the duck sticking it's head or body in there to find bugs. Bites at my ring, tries to eat the buttons of my clothes. Tries to eat my tatoo off of my skin (this hurts) Tramples the lettuce bed and garden, tore up the flowers I just planted around my fish pond. Rooting up all the water iris's that had finally got established.

Ducks are nothing like chickens, that is for sure.
Did I mention it was NOISY. Maybe it wouldn't be so noisy if it had a buddy, but the thought of another duck....gulp.

All that said we are kind of attached to it, raised it in the house since it was a few days old. One stinky, noisy, messy experience.

I would say NO to the duck.

Reaction score
We had 2 ducks for a while that were given to us as eggs. They are very messy. Cute but messy. We traded them for 3 chickens to a woman on Craigslist that had a flock. After we agreed to the trade we had a couple people offer 50.00 for them. Like Wifezilla says it should go to somebody with a flock.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We did end up saying no to the duck. I called them and left a message saying to put it on craigslist or try backyardchickens.com.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I was sad to do it but we had to get rid of our 4 ducks. For one thing the POOP! :barnie I could not keep them off of the patio areas and their poop is hard to get off...especially with our water rationing. Secondly, they would start quacking and making a ruckus at 5:30 in the morning and we have neighbors that are just too close to allow that.

I was sad to see them go but what a relief!