to get the best tasting tomatoes .... don't water them!

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took this video of a bunch of tomatoes that were planted in may, never watered and tasted in september. You can hear from many people there talking about how good they are.

This is a huge way to consume less: consume less water by just being smart about how you plant your garden! This also gives you the freedom to go on vacation for two weeks without having to arrange for somebody to come and water your stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/paulwheaton12#p/u/0/Cj2lyBCBrZg

Thanks!

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried to post all of what was said in the text thing for the video. Do you want more than that?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
While I've never tried growing anything in a compost pile, I do try and put as much organic matter around my plants as I can. I've found when I do this, it does 3 things.

1. Hardly any weeds!

2. I don't have to water that much.

3. The plants are stronger, and healthier.

Next summer, I'm hoping to get an old round bale. And if I do, then I'll be using that in my garden. It will also help balance my pH. The majority of the trees in my area are pine and oak-both of which are highly acidic.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Really, growing plants on the dry side improves the flavor of a lot of fruit-type veggies as well as basically all herbs.

It does not necessarily give you the heaviest yield though.

I water my veg plants (exclusive of lettuce) maybe a couple times per summer at most, only in drought, and have always been quite happy with the results except when I've not gotten the soil in good enough condition first.

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I live in Colorado. Not watering = dead plants. I do withhold water before harvest and it does improve flavor. Also, the more you use compost around the plants, the less you have to water and the less weeds you have to deal with, but when your average humidity is less than 20%, no water isn't an option.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Some years if I never watered my garden there wouldn't *be* a garden. Plus, with our sporadic rains and lack of water I'd have blossom end rot out the wazoo! :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Some years if I never watered my garden there wouldn't *be* a garden. Plus, with our sporadic rains and lack of water I'd have blossom end rot out the wazoo! :/
I think the end rot is due to calcium deficiency.

We are saving every egg shell we can, and I wil be adding crushed shell under every squash I transplant this coming summer.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
aggieterpkatie said:
I think the end rot is due to calcium deficiency.

We are saving every egg shell we can, and I wil be adding crushed shell under every squash I transplant this coming summer.
It can be caused by calcium deficiency, but also by sproadic watering. This year I added calcitic limestone when I planted and no change. :/ The tomatoes always seem to come out of it, but my first crop usually get it. I've also tried eggshells and Tums...nope.

Latest posts