To stay home or not to stay home***I DID IT**

DrHoverbottom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi there
I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for posting this. I just happened to be perusing this site after visiting BYC and was so happy to see this discussion I registered just to say thanks. I am expecting at the end of September and have been struggling with this same issue. In my heart I know what I want to do, but I have to take care of some lose ends to pull it together. Thanks everyone for the wisdom and sharing your experiences.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I have made up my mind. I will work through the end of June, then Im done. I will tell my boss on Monday (which will be hard). My kids are school age (11 &16) and I think they need me to be home for them. I remember all of the trouble I got into when I was home alone (a lot) and I want to be the parent who is there for them. I have all of these thing that I want to do and I just dont have time to do them now.

AND, I have a line on two milking goats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe Im jumping into this!:lol: They will need me to be there for them too! ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's the wondering that is the toughest, I think you're probably feeling much more at peace about it all now that you've made a decision :hugs

It will be an adjustment for you, and even for your kids, but I think you'll wonder why you didn't make the jump much sooner. And if you make budget decisions as a family, I think even scrimping a little where you might need to will be easier on everyone. :)

Cool about the goats too, don't be afraid to ask questions on here--there're lots of people here with tons of experience!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
When I was pregnant with #1, I went back to school for medical transcription, which I did from home the next 10 years. Then I was asked to work at the clinic instead, almost 3 years now. I'm currently doing CSA vegetable farming (6th year) and aim to be done at my clinic job and strictly working from home by spring 2013.

Sacrifices: Working out of the house means less family/kid time than I would like, but I try to make the time together count. My job has been part time and incredibly flexible, so I'm still usually home when they are. There's simply so much work to be done that I have to be up late most nights of the year getting things done. It's starting to wear on me.

We've always been frugal and probably would be regardless of our circumstances. We've needed to be frugal in order for me to only need to be part time and home with the kids. We grow/hunt a LOT of our food, so what used to be our 2nd largest bill (after the mortgage) is now pretty cheap.

As for planning, we've tried to build up our bank account as much as possible. The mortgage only has 12 years left on it, my business has built up hugely this year, so those expenses will be out of the way, we've transitioned to buying our own health insurance, and we have 2 new vehicles (old ones were 16 years old), so we feel fairly ready for the change. Really, though, I intend to earn more in vegetable farming than I did in my old job, with way more time to do it, so it's really just a bit more risk in working for myself.

Seven hens farm--I think it's nice when there's not too much judgment in either direction, when women/men give each other credit for doing their best in whatever circumstances they find themselves. I never wanted to work, but when my husband's family farm started hitting really hard time, they needed to drop our health insurance and I needed to work for that. My husband has never earned much, never gotten raises, so it would have been incredibly hard (impossible?) for us to make it on 1 income, at least if we wanted to live on the farm and not in a trailer park 6 miles from the farm.

I think most of us just try to do the best with whatever we have to work with. Working from home was a pretty good option for our family, and I honestly think I'm the person hurt the most by it, by sheer lack of time for myself or sleep, but I wouldn't have it any other way and feel grateful I've always had the flexibilty in my job to put family first.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Me&thegals,
You said
Really, though, I intend to earn more in vegetable farming than I did in my old job, with way more time to do it, so it's reallyjust a bit more risk in working for myself.
My husband sold some left over started peppers and tomatoes we had and I was amazed what people will pay for those! Especially since they are so easy to start from seed! Maybe next spring I will plant even more seeds and see if I can bring in some extra money!

There is a local little farmers market in the small town I live in, maybe I can look into that too.

I have to tell them (my work) on Monday that I am leaving. Give me strength!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Seven Hens Farm said:
Me&thegals,
You said
Really, though, I intend to earn more in vegetable farming than I did in my old job, with way more time to do it, so it's reallyjust a bit more risk in working for myself.
My husband sold some left over started peppers and tomatoes we had and I was amazed what people will pay for those! Especially since they are so easy to start from seed! Maybe next spring I will plant even more seeds and see if I can bring in some extra money!

There is a local little farmers market in the small town I live in, maybe I can look into that too.

I have to tell them (my work) on Monday that I am leaving. Give me strength!
Good luck to you!! I've been able to grow this business from $4000 the first year (working 24 hours at another job at home, a 4-yo and 6-yo) to much, much more than that 6 years later. Enough to buy a tractor, shed, build a walk-in cooler and lean-to greenhouse all last year with no loans. Once you get past the shock that people will buy what you would never buy for yourself, it's amazing what a great business vegetable farming can be.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is so awesome! What a sucess story!
So, is the CSA where you make your money? Or do you do farmers markets?
I hope you dont mind my asking.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I do both. The CSA is guaranteed pre-paid money, but the markets have been really great for me this year also. I also do a small amount of wholesale veggies to a local hospital.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, living in Central Wisconsin, what does a family typically get in their CSA basket from you? Do you do just vegetables? Or do you do eggs, fresh bread and such?

me&thegals

Reaction score
I do vegetables, but the first week I bought in mushrooms to add to the share. Last week I put in kale, Swiss chard, spinach, head lettuce, leaf lettuce mix, sunflower sprouts, pea pods, strawberries, chocolate mint, pea shoots, radish pods, garlic scapes and a 6-pack of herb plants.