Today in history

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
A letterboxing website that I belong to always has important events for history on their home page each day. I though it would be fun to share some of my favorites. For example the following, since I remember it happening:

1976 First Perfect Score in Olympic History: At the Montreal Olympics, Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci scored the first 10.0 in Olympic history with her flawless performance of the compulsory exercise on the uneven bars. The scoreboard displayed a 1.00 because it couldn't go up to 10.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yep. She was amazing!! If you go to youtube you can see all her performances that olympics :) Just don't read the comments. My gosh people are stupid.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
abifae said:
Yep. She was amazing!! If you go to youtube you can see all her performances that olympics :) Just don't read the comments. My gosh people are stupid.
Oh I know!! Coincedently I was just showing DS Keri Strug's vault with an ankle injury yesterday.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Gymnastics is my favorite sport. One for which I have utterly NO talent lol.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
abifae said:
Gymnastics is my favorite sport. One for which I have utterly NO talent lol.
Ditto! DS did it from the age of 2 until he finished 2nd grade. He was asked to be on the competitive team but we let him make the choice and he declined. Being a diminuative Russian he had some possibilities! He was quite good on the rings.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I never even managed a cart wheel. The best I've managed are front rolls LOL.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I used to love gymnastics. In fact, if I had started at it at a younger age, I think I could have been pretty good at it. But, we only did it for a month or so at a time in high school. My favorites were the unevens and the balance beam. Up until my last shoulder operation, I could still do cartwheels in a perfectly straight line as well as round offs.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Don't feel bad about cartwheels. I was fine on the balance beam, and good at the rings, unevens and parallel bars but I couldn't do a cartwheel either. :/

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Today is Wednesday, July 20th, 2011.
It is the 201st day of the year.

1969 Man First Walks on the Moon: Two US astronauts (Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin) landed lunar module Eagle at 4:17 PM EST. Armstrong and Aldrin were outside the spacecraft, walking on the moon's surface, about 2 1/4 hours.

1968 First Special Olympics Held: The first ever International Special Olympics Competition, held at Soldier Field, Chicago, IL.

1874 Locust Plague: The Rocky Mountain locust became a huge pest in the summer of 1874 when the largest recorded swarm of this insect descended on the Great Plains. It is estimated that 124 billion insects formed a swarm 1,800 miles long and 110 miles wide.