Today's eclipse...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can come to NH, but it's not that interesting other than the eclipse, lol. I'll have to drive upstate an hour or two to see a total eclipse, I think, just glanced at the map of the path today.

So how far away from home are you? Waa it worth the drive?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We've put on 1,100 miles so far and 12 hours away from home if we go the fastest highway route home. Worth it? Ummmm.... IDK. The whole trip is worth it. DH needs a reason to take off work - he works too much. And he makes road trips fun. And renting a camper feels pretty posh for us!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here in east Texas I don't know the percentage of view, but at 1:15 the sun looked like a crescent moon, just a sliver. The light was of a very faintish green cast, like just before a hurricane hits. We had one pair of glasses and had a lot of fun with them. We got horse feed and shared the glasses with the cashier lady and the young man who loaded the feed. Both were appreciative. Then we went to Connie's Place, a small town café we love to patronize. Connie, our waitress, the cook and a young man we didn't know all took turns with the glasses, looking at the eclipse. When we stopped for fuel, keys were stuck in the gas pump door, so I went inside to tell them. The attendant came out, he used the glasses to look at the eclipse and called to another young man who came running to use the glasses also. We had more fun sharing those glasses than using them ourselves. $5 well spent.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were at 95 percent. It felt like it was a couple hours earlier with the slightly dimmer light and the coolness. It was dead calm. All the dappled shadows showed up as crecents. Was like fishscales on everything

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we were at about 95% here (south of the totality). We sat on the steps of the YMCA with the Tai Chi class (playing hooky!) and swapped a couple of glasses around. There was a sparrow in the bushes next to us that fell asleep when it got dimmer, and a mouse was going crazy- kept running out into the middle of us and then running back to the bushes- and once it climbed up the bush and went up to the sleeping sparrow. Watching the animals was more fun than watching the eclipse!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
LOL. I guess I have boring animals. But why am I not surprised? My hens won't go to bed until it is pitch black any day. They are all out wandering around in the yard after I want to go to bed. They also stand out in the pouring rain digging worms. Why on earth would something so trivial as a total eclipse make them a bit of difference, after all the neighbor's dusk to dawn light kicked on and they can still see just fine. Silly hens.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hens are the same way. They were out foraging and ignoring what the sun was doing. Most of the silkies don't go to bed until it's so dark they literally start running into stuff trying to find their way to the coop.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
that's the way my ducks used to be, except they were waiting for me to come out and yell at them to get their a***s into the coop; then they would get up and move toward the ramp in a very stately manner.. as if insulted by my yelling. Ducks are silly boogers.

Latest posts