Tofu.

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Some of you that use tofu may know this others may not. If you freeze your block of tofu for 2 to 3 days it completely changes the texture giving it a much more meat like consitency. It can then be sliced for cutlets of shredded for things like tacos and chili. Hope this is helpful.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thank you :) It helps me with my problem, which is buying it, completely forgetting it in the back of the cheese drawer and then rediscovering it right before the package is about to explode!

I wonder if freezing draws some of the moisture out? Anyway, thanks!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Make sure to press all the water out before you freeze it. Also, extra firm freezes better than silk.

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I`ve never tried expressing the liquid out before freezing but will.
Once it has been frozen it can be expressed again and then dehydrated and it will keep for a very long time. We slice it about 3/8 of inch thick and dehydrate for about 16 hours or until very dry, then either put into jars as slices or crumble it for a ground meat substitute. When you want to use it take out as much as you need and soak for a few minutes in your favorite marinate or as with the crumbles just put it into anything with liquid in it like chili or soups and stews. If we use it for tacos which we do a lot, simply rehydrate in water until soft, drain and use like burger.