Tofurkey

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Well, after some search on the 'net, I'm going to try heating it in the microwave, covered. I hope it doesn't get dried out.... that's almost as bad as dried out turkey! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never heard of tofu turkey?
huh....
good luck...the micro is never a great reheat usually for me. yup, always dries out.

maybe a little liquid in there to help it stay moist.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Let me know how that microwave tofu turkey turns out. I hate the microwave. Rarely use it for much of anything other than heating up soup. Everytime I use a microwave everything taste like/feels like rubber.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Are you talking about one of their bigger turkey substitutes? I have not tried those, the sausages Tofurky makes are yummy and can even go on a BBQ. I think putting the leftovers in a sauce in a pan on the stove would work. Microwaves might dry it out and cook unevenly, but let us know!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Z - my friend, Pat, has a son and dil who are vegan. So this year she found a recipe for and made a tofurkey. Pat's dil, Rebecca, said that it tasted much better than those tofurkeys you can purchase pre-made in the grocery.

It looks like Pat made it in a springform pan.

The "body" portion is firm tofu, but it tastes like there is Bell's poultry seasoning, rosemary, and onion in it.

The "center stuffing" portion was mushrooms, celery, and onions.

The topping looks like it might have been a brown paste with onion and rosemary in it. It doesn't have a soy flavor, which is what one of the recipes I've seen calls for.

I added an ice cube of homemade veggie broth in the container and put the lid over it and microwaved it for about 2.5 minutes. It was very tasty.

I'm going to ask Pat for her recipe.

rosajrms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The last time I had tofurkey, it was baked in the regular oven. It was okay.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We baked a quorn brand turk'y loaf this year for Thanksgiving (we liked it a lot more than the tofurkey), it reheated nicely in the microwave. Not sure about the tofurkey reheating.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here are the recipes for the Tofurkey and the Stuffing my friend Pat made at Christmas. I am also providing the link for the video that shows how to make it....

http://video.about.com/vegetarian/How-to-Make-Tofu-Turkey.htm

Homemade Tofu Turkey with Stuffing

Ingredients:
5 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed
1/4 cup fresh herbs: 2 Tbsp sage, 1 Tbsp thyme, 1 Tbsp rosemary
1 Tbsp vegetable broth powder
2 Tbsp Bells poultry seasoning

Marinade:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup fresh herbs: 2 Tbsp sage, 1 Tbsp thyme, 1 Tbsp rosemary
1 tsp vegetable broth powder
2 tsp Dijon mustard

approximately 2 cups prepared vegetarian stuffing

Method:
Working in batches as needed, process the tofu in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.

Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, and stir in the fresh chopped sage, thyme, rosemary, vegetable broth powder and poultry seasoning, stirring well to combine.

Line a colander with cheesecloth or a thin towel. Place the tofu in the colander, and layer of cheesecloth or a thin towel on top. Place a weight on top of the towel to gently press the tofu. Place on a plate or towel and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Once the tofu is chilled and firm, scoop out the tofu in the middle, creating a hole or a well, and leaving about 1 inch of a tofu "shell" in the colander.

Gently pat your stuffing into the "well", then gently press the extra tofu on top.

Carefully invert your tofu turkey onto a lightly greased baking sheet.

Whisk together the marinade ingredients and baste or brush the tofu generously.

Bake for about 90 minutes at 350, basting again every 15 minutes.

Homemade Stuffing

Ingredients:
3/4 pound bread, cubed
1/4 cup butter
1 large red onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups roasted cashew pieces
2 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, or 1 tsp dried
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 eggs, beaten

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 400.

Place bread cubes on large shallow baking pan and bake until golden, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.

Melt butter in large heavy skillet. Add onions and cook until clear, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes). Add red peppers, mushrooms and celery; cook until tender about 5 to 7 minutes.

Combine with bread in mixing bowl; add nuts, seasonings, vegetable broth and beaten eggs. Stir well and pour into an 8-inch greased baking pan or one of similar size. (Can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated). Cover and bake for about 1 hour.

Makes 8 servings of vegetarian stuffing.