Tolerating/Explaining/Surviving in the "real world"

emoon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My family has given me the gift of a free ride to get a four year degree. I chose urban planning as my major because it is the closest discipline to what I actually want to do in life, or so I thought. However, sitting in a comprehensive planning course and plodding through state enabling legislation to then spend the entire semester creating an outline for a master plan (including all sorts of arbitrary political BS) is just a bit frustrating. Since I appreciate the ability to learn from all sources, I am really trying to breathe through it and appreciate what I can garner. On break, the question of hierarchical necessity is raised, and of course - because what I actually want to be doing is helping other citizens to be self-reliant - I have lots of things to say. Then comes the question of "but how do we do it?" and my serious frustration because this is denying the recognition that we don't need people to tell us what to do! Then comes the question of "but we have limited resources" which REALLY gets me going because the only reason our resources are limited is because the power hierarchy has commodified and bastardized natural patterns and the history of slavery, speculation and fossil fuel use has exponentially grown the consumer population to far beyond natural capacities. These cycles have fed into more and more growth because our global economy is led by the myths of power and infinite growth as the only measure of economic success.
Since it is obvious I have started to rant, now is a good time to give my real question: how do I separate the emotional connection to the despair of those (including myself here too for many reasons!) ignorant to the ability of each consciousness to awaken to their universal sameness and evolution of the awareness towards a more perfect union - how to build a decentralized democracy by listening to each other, healing and growing - restoring and revitalizing the natural patterns that have been so deeply hurt including healing not only of physical but mental boundaries... Anyhow how do I separate that acute emotional intuitive awareness from the real need to share these ideas in a positive way and 'convince' others of their positive future cooperation ability.... Fear is such a strong barrier........
No rest for the weary.
Thanks for your consideration.
I welcome this source of knowledge in my own practical education. Thank you for this opportunity.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad to know I wasn't the only one that felt a bit lost. Oh, and :welcome

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay...first off, I think everyone is going to get lost in all the complicated rambling/wording of your question.

That being said, I think that fear is a powerful emotion and sometimes it is best used to your advantage. Not that I'm saying you have to put fear into the hearts of people as a whole but if you know that someone is fearful of change then use that to help them embrace the change that is needed. Many people have affected great changes because they were afraid of what would happen if they did NOT act.

Just look at the movement towards organics in this country. That, I believe, is largely a fear driven response to the chemical industry that is so greatly influencing our food industry. Farmer's markets are continuing to thrive and grow because people are using fear as a motivator to increase the control over their lives and what goes into their bodies. Lots of people are starting to plant gardens because they see that our food in this country is not really food anymore but a bunch of boxed up processed chemical crap that is so far from it's original form that it serves us no real purpose. Food allergies have increased and I believe whole heartedly that it is in response to processed food. Our bodies can no longer digest and tolerate what is now called "food".

As far as fossil fuels go, there are lots of theories as to why it is as bad as it is. Why is gas in one state so dramatically different in price than the state right next to it? The power heirarchy obviously has some say as to why things are the way they are. The powers that be have their own personal agendas that get in the way of "the greater goal". We see it all the time. Riders are attached to bills in such a way that the average person would never even be able to get through the lingo to even see what is really underneath until it is too late.

We do need structure in our society because let's face it, without rules there would be chaos. I agree that the "bigger is better" mentality is a problem in this country. The problem is that the current generation is so entrenched in that mentality that it is going to take a lot to convince them otherwise. Everyone wants everything yesterday and can't wait. Why do you think we have produce shipped in from other countries? Because people can't wait for an item to come into season anymore...they want tomatoes in January and apples in May.

Living a self sufficient/self reliant lifestyle largely relies on the ability to plan and be patient and do things at a slower pace. We don't know how to slow down.

The other problem is that everyone has been so conditioned to be "in it for themselves" that the ability to foster cooperation in a positive way has been compromised. The only advice I can offer you is to stick to your guns, believe in your goals, and do the best to work toward those goals in a positive and healthy way. If you want to change the way the government is run and decentralize democracy then you have a long row to hoe.

I applaud that you are even trying, to be honest. I think most of us that are trying to live a more self sufficient lifestyle are doing so to help ourselves get out of the fix that our society has gotten us in and most of us are willing to help others learn the skills that we use everyday. Most movements are started by small groups of people trying to change the way things are and it just grows exponentially when it is done in a positive way but it takes time. My advise is to use your frustration in a positive way to come up with ways to foster the change you want. Start small...we tell people on here all the time to start with one or two skills first and then add one or two things later on as you gain confidence. You have to do the same. Focus on little things that can affect change and build on it with time.

Good luck!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
think globally, act locally.

A college degree will seriously reduce your risk of unemployment. However, civil engineering and other city-planning type positions may be frustrating because infrastructure projects can take decades. Still, there's an obvious need for people with SS ideas in those positions, right? For example, a walkable or bike-friendly city means we're all less dependent on hydrocarbon fuels.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with K1

think global for a city and apply what you can where you can change things. bike lanes would be the most stinking wonderful thing NC could do for their roads, yet new roads go in and no bike lanes. NC sucks rocks on that type of position.

there is a thread on here with a link to a dog poop generator for lighting up the dog park. that could be incorporated and such things like that.

your hands are tied severely I am sure....but be the person who requests the changes be made and fight for your line of planning. what else can one person do...but you have to fight for your ideas in the planning the best you can.

you 'convince' people to change by showing them your plans on how to use nature and environment to work with you in a city. not fight against it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We use smaller words around here most of the time. If you keep speaking like that, you'll not get many serious responses because folks are not gonna know what you're trying to say! :lol: Now that that is over....

Lead by example is the best advice I can give. Are YOU personally taking all the steps necessary to SHOW people what you mean? Language isn't the only way to get the point across. And yes, some people HAVE to be told, sometimes even more than once ;) Our society has not exactly encouraged very many people to be free thinkers in the last couple of generations, so yes, you will have to tell them. I wouldn't use too many big words either :p It's just fear of the unknown that is driving people to remain dependant in the first place. Becoming less dependant is overwhelming due to our degree of dependance, so...baby steps.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

You're young, and you've got a lot of spirit, but you can't tackle the whole team at once...you'll get your butt kicked! Trust me :lol:

Hang in there, you're going to be successful in what you want to do, but it won't ALL happen tomorrow :hu

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
We use smaller words around here most of the time. If you keep speaking like that, you'll not get many serious responses because folks are not gonna know what you're trying to say! :lol:
I agree. I thought I was a fairly smart guy, but you kinda lost me after the word garner. :hu And :welcome I'm looking forward to hearing how you tackle your studies.