Tomato Reproduction

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is a great idea. But I wonder if it woulod be the same for a regular branch of the plant. He said that was a sucker. so what is the difference between a sucker and a branch? I'm gonna try to put this over on TEG, and see what they say, too. Thank you for bringing it here, earthmother.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought the whole idea was great and it's very similar to air-layering which I've seen done with houseplants. He did say he used a sucker - but I've read in other places that suckers won't ever do as well as the mother plant. Who knows? :idunno But, I am definitely going to give it a shot. (If I have any tomatoes that survived last night's weather.... )

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Suckers are the branches that grow between the main stem and branches--they actually do quite well as solo plants, in my experience. I always pinch them out when I see them, to concentrate fruit production, and if I've missed one until it has got to a fair size I always just stick it in a bit of wet ground in the garden--most produce fruit :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Moolie beat me to it. That's what I was going to say. :lol:

If you remove the suckers, you'll get a better harvest. In my experience, the suckers generally don't produce any fruit-unless you make it into another plant. And, the plant has to put a lot of effort into growing the sucker basically for nothing.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, always remove the suckers and repot them. :) Also, if you want better production, remove lower branches that are less than a foot off the ground. It improves air circulation and keeps tomatoes off the soil.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
If you want better production, remove lower branches that are less than a foot off the ground. It improves air circulation and keeps tomatoes off the soil.
Couldn't agree more. I am confused about the difference between a sucker and a branch. Glad to know that it is clarified here.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yep, always remove the suckers and repot them. :) Also, if you want better production, remove lower branches that are less than a foot off the ground. It improves air circulation and keeps tomatoes off the soil.
This too, it really helps :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ditto to what everyone else is saying.

The past couple years has been difficult tomato years in this area. The suckers or branches just didn't grow fast enough to start bearing tomatoes before it got too hot and they didn't set on.
I was lucky last year. My neighbor and I were the only ones in our friends and families that had tomatoes. Must have been just a few degrees cooler here. But the starts did nothing.