Tomatoes not blooming

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I havent actually put any fertilizer on the plants. When I do, I use fish emulsion at the base. The temps are consistently 80 and above over night, and over 100 during the day. I do have the tomato plants in a fairly shaded area to where they get full sun maybe 4-6 hours a day. Im going to try and fertilize and see if that helps.

I have heard that spraying a pepper mixture around the base can help? Also epson salt?? Anything on that?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
barefootfarmer said:
Thanks for the advice. I havent actually put any fertilizer on the plants. When I do, I use fish emulsion at the base. The temps are consistently 80 and above over night, and over 100 during the day. I do have the tomato plants in a fairly shaded area to where they get full sun maybe 4-6 hours a day. Im going to try and fertilize and see if that helps.

I have heard that spraying a pepper mixture around the base can help? Also epson salt?? Anything on that?
Epsom salts are for magnesium. Do a Google search for organic sources of potassium and phosphorous. You need those for flowering.

On our food gardens, we tend to use greensand for the potassium, and bone meal for phosphorous (and calcium).

I don't know what the value of any sort of pepper spray would be for getting tomato plants to flower more. But I have my doubts.

Fish fertilizer contains many elements - the main ones plus "trace elements". So it is good... BUT it is very heavy on nitrogen as compared with the other elements.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
barefootfarmer said:
so a mix of greensand and bone meal should do the trick?
Let me put it this way... That would be a good supplment to a tomato bed at the start of a season. However, you could also use other sources of potassium and phosphorous. Ask around locally, do a Google search, etc.

At this point, with your tomato plants already grown quite a bit and showing the signs of ample nitrogen but perhaps too little potassium and phosphorous, adding these elements now might not make a lot of difference. I'm not sure, one way or the other. But, as people say, maybe worth a try. :)